+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship

Onwards56

Apr 3, 2024
Hi all,

I have been reading up on comments provided in this forum for a while now and I must say it has been very informative.

I fall under the category of those who have renewed their home country passport and I used it 6 times to travel to other countries apart from my home country. After learning about this law, I stopped using it and haven’t travelled for almost two years now. I’m eligible to apply for my citizenship but I’ve been so worried about my application triggering cessation.
Not sure what to do now. Do I maintain my PR indefinitely and remain stuck in Canada? Or do I apply and hope for the best. This issue is giving me sleepless nights. Please advise, thanks.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hi all,

I have been reading up on comments provided in this forum for a while now and I must say it has been very informative.

I fall under the category of those who have renewed their home country passport and I used it 6 times to travel to other countries apart from my home country. After learning about this law, I stopped using it and haven’t travelled for almost two years now. I’m eligible to apply for my citizenship but I’ve been so worried about my application triggering cessation.
Not sure what to do now. Do I maintain my PR indefinitely and remain stuck in Canada? Or do I apply and hope for the best. This issue is giving me sleepless nights. Please advise, thanks.
If you attempt to renew your PR, you potentially face the same challenges if potential cessation. It's a tough choice and very personal depending on your risk aversion. Personally, I'd apply, but then again, I would be willing to have the cessation hanging over my head indefinitely. Rather have an answer one way or the other. But that's me.

Reactions: Onwards56

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

So far we have not seen any cessation cases against PR-refugees who did not travel to the home country at least once. But there have been some cases in which just one trip to the home country has not only triggered cessation, but have been upheld on review.

Getting and using the passport in itself creates a presumption of reavailment, so there is some risk of cessation proceedings even though we have not seen cessation proceedings absent travel to the home country.

I doubt anyone here, and certainly not me, can say what the probabilities are, what the practical risk is. That said, my sense is the risk is fairly low; however, the problem isn't the odds so much as what is at stake.

If you can afford to see an immigration lawyer, a good lawyer with experience in representing refugees, it would be prudent to get a personal, in-depth, paid for consultation BEFORE applying for citizenship.

If you wait to apply for citizenship until five years since your last travel abroad using the home country passport, that would reduce the risk considerably since your application would not reflect using the home country passport (since the applicant only reports travel history for previous five years). But whether the risk in the meantime is high enough to do that, to wait, is hard to say. And that would not necessarily totally eliminate the risk.

Getting input from a lawyer would be a good idea. (And many here would appreciate you sharing here any insights you gain.)

There have been several new cases. I've been lazy and have not been posting them. Here's one more recent one: https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc/2024/2024fc486/2024fc486.html
This decision from just last week, the Dogahen v. Canada, 2024 FC 486, https://canlii.ca/t/k3r0k decision, does indeed illustrate that the government continues to roll along in cessation proceedings. Its brevity speaks volumes. Notwithstanding some signs of relief from the severity of cessation consequences seen in some cases I referenced last week, above, this Dogahen case and the Naqvi v. Canada, 2024 FC 365, https://canlii.ca/t/k3k2z decision (cessation upheld based on just one trip to the home country) are clear examples that cessation remains a big risk.

There is a bit of a wrinkle in Dogahen, however, in that Justice Heneghan quotes Justice Brown's decision in Ali v. Canada, 2023 FC 383, https://canlii.ca/t/jwbhn which is a decision I discussed here a year ago, post #714, which I described as a decision that "invites some head scratching", apart from and in addition to a rather salient makes-no-sense detail, likely a typo, looming front and center. The part that Justice Heneghan quotes is clear enough, and the underlying basis for the outcome in the Ali case is clear enough, but seems an odd choice to quote as a source.

Maybe all the cases are waiting up on gagaram case which is expected to take place in April or May.
I figured out that you are referring to cases connected to the Jude Upali Gnanapragasam case; that is, in particular:
Upali Gnanapragasam and Al. v. Canada, Court File No.: IMM-8432-22 [“Gnanapragasam”]

Note: "gagaram" did not ring any memory bells and for search purposes was a dead end; helps to be more precise, a link is best, but at least the correctly spelled case name, preferably including a docket number if not linked.

The “Gnanapragasam” case involves just a handful or two of specific cases that are on hold (stayed or in abeyance), to some extent, pending further proceedings in regards to the Gnanapragasam constitutional challenge to the automatic termination of PR status. ONLY those cases connected to the Gnanapragasam group are affected, plus a few other individual cases in which the affected party has requested and the Federal Court allowed a stay or hold. I referenced and discussed most of these here in a post back on December 14, 2023, post #815. In addition to the cases I cite and link in that post, I notice that another Federal Court justice has granted a motion to hold the judicial review of a cessation case in abeyance. That is the Bubreg v. Canada, 2024 FC 40, https://canlii.ca/t/k269d case

The main case in addition to the Gnanapragasam case itself, is a decision by Federal Court Justice Lobat Sadrehashemi which has put 10 cases on hold; that is Habib v. Canada, 2023 FC 1116, https://canlii.ca/t/k0zvt which is one of those I discussed back in December. File numbers for the ten cases involved, those being held in abeyance, are listed in that decision. Others we know about include Bajwa v. Canada, 2023 FC 1570, https://canlii.ca/t/k1l2j and a group of related parties in Yousef v. Canada, 2023 CanLII 110973, https://canlii.ca/t/k1bwk

At that time there was some confusion about a hearing in the Gnanapragasam case scheduled for December, and another for April. There was in fact a hearing in December and an order issued December 20, 2023 in regards to some motions to intervene (additional parties asking to be included in the case). See that here: Gnanapragasam v. Canada, 2023 FC 1735 (CanLII), https://canlii.ca/t/k2j7q

And multiple sources indicate that the Gnanapragasam case is indeed set for another hearing next week, the week of April 8, 2024.

The Current Significance of the Gnanapragasam Constitutional Challenges:

For PR-refugees, for purposes of personal decision-making, there is NO WHERE NEAR enough indication to anticipate, let alone rely on the prospect that the statutory provision automatically terminating PR status upon a cessation determination will be determined to be unconstitutional.

There is no indication that RPD proceedings in cessation are on hold. Let alone cessation investigations. That is, notwithstanding the cases challenging Section 46(1)(c.1) IRPA, there is no indication that has influenced RPD cessation proceedings.

At this stage, the constitutional challenge is at best a legal argument the courts have not decided. There is NO promise, none at all, it will succeed. (Note, the CARL Review of Refugee Law and Practice is available at CanII and there is an article about all this in Vol. 2 No. 1 for 2024, titled "Challenging the Loss of Permanent Resident Status Resulting From Cessation of Refugee Protection.")

The irony is that the Gnanapragasam case itself is NO longer about the automatic PR termination provision, so that case could be dismissed as moot. Or decided on other grounds. (Apparently, or so is indicated in the Bubreg v. Canada, 2024 FC 40, https://canlii.ca/t/k269d case, cessation of Gnanapragasam's refugee status was eventually based on Section 108(1)(e) IRPA, which does not trigger the automatic termination of PR status, so Gnanapragasam remains a PR even though no longer having refugee status).

If the court proceeds to decide the constitutionality issues, and declares the automatic termination of PR unconstitutional, that will of course be a really huge deal and literally save the day for scores and scores of PR-refugees. I am no where near capable of forecasting the odds of that outcome except that in general many cases like this tend to be a long shot, the odds not good. In any event, the odds are NOT good enough, not anywhere near close, to make decisions based on the constitutional challenge succeeding.

Clarifying What is On Hold, in Abeyance:

The cases on hold are cases in which cessation has already been determined. Remember, there was the earlier Gnanapragasam case in which they sought to stay the RPD from proceeding with cessation. The Federal Court denied the stay. See the Gnanapragasam v. Canada, 2022 FC 1595, https://canlii.ca/t/jt4xd decision in which Justice Furlanetto denied the motion to enjoin the RPD from proceeding with cessation. (I discussed this case here, back in November 2022, post #690)

To be clear: there is nothing indicating that currently there is any hold on cessation proceedings themselves. What is on hold is the Federal Court review of cessation decisions in about a dozen or so cases. and so far this appears to be limited.

Reactions: Yuki.03 and scylla

RasAlula

Mar 8, 2024
I've also been following this thread for about two years, and it's been a great help in getting information and coping with my anxiety over a cessation case brought against me in October 2020 for traveling to my home country and renewing my passport on multiple occasions. However, I have not heard anything back from CBSA since they filed, except last year when they informed me that they had replaced the minister's counsel on my case.

I applied for my citizenship in August 2022 and had an interview in December 2023, during which nothing regarding cessation was brought up. I received my GCMS notes from IRCC, and according to the notes (with no mention of cessation), I have passed Knowledge, Language, Residence, Prohibition, and Criminality checks, but the oath ceremony has still not started. Also under the Immigration section in the notes its been marked as passed. My question would be: if CBSA filed an application for cessation in 2020, why have they still not set a hearing date?

Thank you for any input or advice. I hired one of the top immigration lawyers right away and paid the fee for a hearing, though a date has not been set. The lawyer has contacted CBSA/minister's counsel countless times to add their office to the case, but they have not responded or added them to the file. The lawyer & I have both contacted IRB & RPD on multiple occasions, and they informed us that they have no file regarding my case.

Just to give some background: I came to Canada as a minor & dependent of a family member over 30 years ago, I applied for citizenship long ago but failed due to brief legal problems at the time(young & stupid); I was not the principal applicant, and we were not inland claimants. We were convention refugees under the "Abroad Class." I had mentioned this to the RPD, and they said that might be why they don't have anything on the cessation.

Could it be a jurisdiction issue that's holding up my hearing? I appreciate everyone in this thread & the time you all take to review all these cases.

Here are some relevant cases for reference:
  • Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) v. Esfand, 2015 FC 1190 (CanLII), [2016] 2 FCR 282
  • Link
  • Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) v. Heidari Gezik, 2015 FC 1268 (CanLII)
  • Link

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Could it be a jurisdiction issue that's holding up my hearing?
Your lawyer is a far, far better source than what anyone here can offer.

Based on what you report here, it is not clear that there is an "issue that's holding up" a cessation hearing in your case. In general, many if not most cessation investigations and proceedings appear to take YEARS to get to a hearing.

The question that looms large is whether IRCC will hold up finalizing the citizenship application pending further action in regards to alleged grounds for cessation. This can be difficult to discern but YOUR LAWYER is the better resource for information in this regard.

I will nonetheless offer some observations:

The Cessation Timeline:

While many decisions in IRB proceedings are publicly accessible, not much indication many are diving that deeply into those related to cessation. That said, I have noticed instances like a reference to CBSA initiating a proceeding in 2017 to investigate cessation with no indication as to the status of that as of a hearing just last October, in 2023 (in regards to other issues affecting that individual). This corroborates many indications that cessation investigations can take many, many years.

In another decision I recently was looking at, the cessation prosecution was initiated in 2016 and that did not result in a decision until October 2021. The last trip to the home country was in 2012. (The latter is noteworthy because that was BEFORE the change in law; when this individual was traveling to their home country, prior to and including the last trip in 2012, cessation did not affect the status of a PR-refugee; so at the time they traveled to the home country there was no reason for them to anticipate that travel to the home country could cause them to lose PR status -- that is, cessation of protected or refugee status would not affect their PR status.)

Bottom-line: The lengthy timeline itself does not appear to be unusual and in itself does not indicate what underlying issues are being considered.

I hired one of the top immigration lawyers right away and paid the fee for a hearing, though a date has not been set. The lawyer has contacted CBSA/minister's counsel countless times to add their office to the case, but they have not responded or added them to the file. The lawyer & I have both contacted IRB & RPD on multiple occasions, and they informed us that they have no file regarding my case.
Here too, your lawyer is a far, far better source. What I do not know, in particular, which your lawyer might know, is what the policies and practices are in regards to divulging information about pending cessation applications.

After all, if IRB and the RPD actually "have no file regarding [your] case" that would indicate there is no application for cessation pending. In contrast, it appears there is a case pending, suggesting that the policy or practice is to NOT divulge that unless and until a certain stage of the proceedings.

That is a level of procedure I am NOT at all familiar with. I do not know what this means.

That is, except as I noted, these cessation proceedings tend to take a long time, including a very long time to go from initiating an investigation to formally commencing proceedings. I do not know what specifically happens at the stage CBSA formally brings a cessation application before the RPD or IRB (I am not even clear about how this goes, how the application is formally made).

Will address status obtained as dependent versus primary applicant for protection in a separate post . . .

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I came to Canada as a minor & dependent of a family member over 30 years ago, I applied for citizenship long ago but failed due to brief legal problems at the time(young & stupid); I was not the principal applicant, and we were not inland claimants. We were convention refugees under the "Abroad Class." I had mentioned this to the RPD, and they said that might be why they don't have anything on the cessation.
Status Obtained As Dependent Versus Primary Applicant for Protection:

This is definitely a question for which YOUR LAWYER is a better resource.

That said, my sense is that in MOST cases, those who are PR-refugees are subject to the provisions for cessation of status EVEN IF they obtained their status as a dependent of the primary applicant.

That is, my sense (this is NOT an expert opinion) is that the exception distinguished in the Esfand https://canlii.ca/t/glrm0 and Gezik https://canlii.ca/t/gm3b8 decisions will NOT insulate dependent PR-refugees from cessation.

Beyond that this gets weedy, and at least a little cloudy, and unfortunately the rather casual brushing aside of this issue in the Federal Court of Appeal decision in Camayo https://canlii.ca/t/jndkg fails to clearly illuminate if the exception distinguished in the Esfand and Gezik decisions might, still, insulate some PR-refugees from cessation.

Remember that in Camayo the court stated:
. . . this Court has previously held that a minor who obtains refugee protection as a dependant under a parent’s claim is indeed subject to the same immigration consequences as the parent claimant.

On its face that would seem to indicate the distinction in Esfand and Gezik will not insulate the PR-refugee who obtained status as a dependent. But (in my limited capacity to read and understand Canadian law) I am not clear how definitive this is given that the certified question in Camayo was specifically in reference to both an inland refugee claim and cases where there was (at least allegedly) NO "individual or personalized risk assessment of the dependant," and the FCA in Camayo proceeded without analysis or independently addressing the issue. (Also note that Federal Court decisions, such as Esfand and Gezik, do not establish binding precedent; in contrast, rulings by the Federal Court of Appeal, such as the Camayo decision, do establish binding precedent.)

It warrants noting that in both Esfand and Gezik the fulcrum of the decision was whether the RPD's interpretation of the law (which in turn was the basis for the RPD's conclusion it did not have jurisdiction) was reasonable, not whether it was correct. And yeah, that's a complex subject and densely weedy tangent in itself. Short version: that means this is not a definitive interpretation.

In regards to the latter, in particular, despite ruling the RPD's interpretation to be reasonable, and thus upholding the RPD decision, Justice Anis describes the distinction underlying the decision as "irrational," and certifies a question regarding this for further review by the Federal Court of Appeals. (Which apparently did not happen; which is common.)

So, again in my limited capacity, to me it is not entirely clear what the law is, or the policies or practices are in regards to applying cessation to those who obtained status as a minor dependent of a Convention refugee abroad. BUT my sense, my not-an-expert sense, is that the distinction made in Esfand and Gezik will NOT insulate the PR-refugee who obtained status as a dependent, even if there was NO personalized or individual risk assessment (in the process pursuant to which the PR-refugee was given protected person status).

Among recent remarks in Federal Court decisions, for example, in the March 2023 Malik https://canlii.ca/t/jwg5x decision (discussed here about a year ago) the Federal Court stated it acknowledged . . .
. . . the cases cited by the [Minister] confirm generally that in the refugee claim context, children’s claims should be considered as part of parents’ claims, and that children will sometimes “suffer the consequences” of their parents’ actions as a result.​

. . . but distinguished the cessation proceedings against the minor dependants in that case in regards to the "intent" and "voluntariness" factors in assessing whether their travel to the home country constituted reavailment. So, when the court in Malik says that Camayo "casts doubt on the strict application of this general rule in the cessation context" it did so in reference to "the factors to be considered in rebutting the presumption of reavailment," not that the fact of having obtained status as a dependent precludes or insulates the PR-refugee from cessation.

But that case also appears to have been an inland claim.

Note: it is NOT the fact that the underlying claim was inland or made while abroad that really matters, that is the basis for the distinction made by Esfand and Gezik. What matters (if it is to make a difference in the outcome) is whether there was a personal or individualized risk assessment. In the inland cases there is (as best I understand it) usually (nearly always) some degree of personal risk assessment of dependents accompanying a primary applicant, which clearly makes them subject to the cessation provisions of Section 108(1)(a) through 108(1)(d) IRPA. So the question is whether or not, as was decided in Esfand and Gezik, a Refugee dependent who was not the subject of a personal or individualized assessment (which is typical of accompanying dependents in claims made abroad), that is one who was granted status directly based on being the dependent of a primary applicant, is subject to the cessation provisions. My sense is that Camayo and the case it cites, Tobar Toledo v. Canada, 2013 FCA 226, https://canlii.ca/t/g2tn0 mean that yes, the RPD does have jurisdiction to cease their status based on the grounds in Section 108(1)(a) through 108(1)(d) IRPA.

All of this is subject to the caveat that I am NO expert, and with a further caution that I am not at all sure that there are any Canadian lawyers who could definitively say one way or the other (although those practicing in this area probably have a very good sense about how the RPD is proceeding these days, not for certain but with confidence).

I've also been following this thread for about two years, and it's been a great help in getting information and coping with my anxiety over a cessation case brought against me in October 2020 for traveling to my home country and renewing my passport on multiple occasions. However, I have not heard anything back from CBSA since they filed, except last year when they informed me that they had replaced the minister's counsel on my case.

I applied for my citizenship in August 2022 and had an interview in December 2023, during which nothing regarding cessation was brought up. I received my GCMS notes from IRCC, and according to the notes (with no mention of cessation), I have passed Knowledge, Language, Residence, Prohibition, and Criminality checks, but the oath ceremony has still not started. Also under the Immigration section in the notes its been marked as passed. My question would be: if CBSA filed an application for cessation in 2020, why have they still not set a hearing date?

Thank you for any input or advice. I hired one of the top immigration lawyers right away and paid the fee for a hearing, though a date has not been set. The lawyer has contacted CBSA/minister's counsel countless times to add their office to the case, but they have not responded or added them to the file. The lawyer & I have both contacted IRB & RPD on multiple occasions, and they informed us that they have no file regarding my case.

Just to give some background: I came to Canada as a minor & dependent of a family member over 30 years ago, I applied for citizenship long ago but failed due to brief legal problems at the time(young & stupid); I was not the principal applicant, and we were not inland claimants. We were convention refugees under the "Abroad Class." I had mentioned this to the RPD, and they said that might be why they don't have anything on the cessation.

Could it be a jurisdiction issue that's holding up my hearing? I appreciate everyone in this thread & the time you all take to review all these cases.

Here are some relevant cases for reference:
  • Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) v. Esfand, 2015 FC 1190 (CanLII), [2016] 2 FCR 282
  • Link
  • Canada (Citizenship and Immigration) v. Heidari Gezik, 2015 FC 1268 (CanLII)
  • Link