+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Claimants ( Change of Province )

Calgary21

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
Calgary
Respected Members, I need information about Change of Province for Refugee Claimant, right now I m in Montreal , Please guide me how can we change province, What's the process to transfer our case and other things etc, I am planning to move Alberta, also I'll appreciate if someone tell me about Welfare in Alberta, like we get 1240 in Quebec, I don't know anything about it for Alberta. Please also tell if there is any negative impact on our case etc.
I will be grateful
Regards

Jan 10, 2017
Respected Members, I need information about Change of Province for Refugee Claimant, right now I m in Montreal , Please guide me how can we change province, What's the process to transfer our case and other things etc, I am planning to move Alberta, also I'll appreciate if someone tell me about Welfare in Alberta, like we get 1240 in Quebec, I don't know anything about it for Alberta. Please also tell if there is any negative impact on our case etc.
I will be grateful
Regards
Hi, Once I was planning to move from Montreal to Alberta, I called IRB to ask about file transfer they advised me to submit an application for the file transfer and it is up to IRB in Calgary to accept my file or refuse it. Then my file will stay and process in Montreal. I didn't transferred my file I believe it is lengthy process to start everything from beginning. Wish you best of luck!!!

Calgary21

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
Calgary
Thank you for response brother, I am actually new here , I've heard that changing province is legal but I need to know the procedure.

Jan 10, 2017
It can be quite lengthy process if you already started everything in Montreal but still you can change but my advise is first speak with IRB because file transfer is one the important thing to do.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You basically have to get a new lawyer and if you are receiving support you'll have to reapply for that, new health card, new driver's license if you have one, etc. You'll have to pay for your move as well. The cost of living is in general higher in Alberta. Many of the information is online.