+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

refugee citizen reavailement . i returned to my country

lavocado917

Feb 20, 2024
hello i am a former asylum applicant. i turned citizen sincr 2 years . and since then i return to my country every year for almost 3 months .
lately i’ve been reading this forum and some people are mentioning that it is not allowed to do so .
i visit my relatives and need to take care of them.
note that i feel safe in my country holding the canadian citizenship. as a dual citizens we have a lot of privileges as my country has good relations with canada . and i never went back before turning citizen
now j am worried to go back . some guys say they will out me aside
should i just move to another country ? any advises are appreciated
regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hello i am a former asylum applicant. i turned citizen sincr 2 years . and since then i return to my country every year for almost 3 months .
lately i’ve been reading this forum and some people are mentioning that it is not allowed to do so .
note that i feel safe in my country holding the canadian citizenship. as a dual citizens we have a lot of privileges as my country has good relations with canada . and i never went back before turning citizen
regards
No issues if you only returned after becoming a Canadian citizen.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
regards
If you are also still a citizen of your home country, then you may be subject to the Master Nationality Rule. Basically, if you are charged with a crime in your home country, then Canada will not be able to protect you.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thank you so much for your answer. i tend to ignore some comments such as those above who come for people who just have no life and want spread hate and false information.
decent people like you and dpenbill if i am not mistaken just give good advise and make this forum keep going as more and more peop’e learn from you.
actually i’ve never returned to my country since my original claim and some people don’t realize that situations change . health of our relatives degrades and regarding us situation change significantly after holding a canadian citizenship no one could affect me personally or at least they would consider before doing so as my country has good relations to canada. i came back with the canadian passport and everytime i go outdoors and deal with locals i always make sure the passport is in my pocket in any case .
thank you again
Would be very cautious about using the change of circumstances in your home country to justify your ability to easily return to your home country especially if you are a somewhat recent citizen. Although yes it is legal to travel to your home country you can understand how many would view your ability to return to the home country and spend significant time there inconsistent with your need for protection (3 months every year is a long time given that most jobs have 2-5 weeks of vacation per year). It is a much more complex issue but sadly there are many people who have lied about their need for protection, many who do return to their home country before receiving citizenship, many who hide the fact that they are primarily living in their home country after becoming protected people and/or becoming Canadian citizens while receiving benefits from Canada, etc. Due to a lot of abuse of the protected person system, due to the larger amount of asylum seekers coming to Canada and other counties, the rise of nationalism in many counties/change in political climate in many countries including Canada, the amount of money Canada is spending on asylum seekers (over a billion in hotels but probably closer to 2 billion a year last year), etc. there is likely to be a lot more criticism of people who had a genuine fear for their life in their home country and were correctly granted protected person status and who do spend significant amount of time in their previous home country. Although legal for you to visit your home country you still may face questioning at the airport about your return to your home country. We are seeing more reavailment cases. Many are also under the false impression that a Canadian passport can save them if they do run into problems abroad. Canada does not have a lot of bargaining power so although a Canadian passport offers some protection it is limited. In general would probably more cautious about how open you are about visiting your home country and would expect the environment for protected people and asylum claimants to get worse in the next few years but likely longer as economies struggle and as many more people seeking a better life claim asylum not only people seeking protection because there are limited ways to immigrate otherwise.

Reactions: foodie69