+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refinance a US vehicle through a Canadian Bank?

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
June 02, 2015 (MR, RPRF, & PCC for Spouse)
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent w/Application: L-8.5, R-9.0, W-9.0, S-8.5
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
June 19, 2015; TLU (Medical results have been received): July 20, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Required as I was a US Citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Issued Jan 07, 2016 - Arrived in Mail Jan 21, 2016
LANDED..........
June 19, 2016 - FINALLY - HURRAY!!!!
I have read some of the posts about importing a vehicle to Canada. I have been thinking on how to deal with this as I have a vehicle that I am still paying on that I would want to import into Canada from the USA. The problem is that as I have read about in my research, you have to have the title which you won't have if the bank still has a lien for your auto loan. I also see everywhere, including on official Canadian sites that if you can get your bank to give you a letter indicating it is OK to export your vehicle from the US to Canada then you could do it. From what I read it doesn't seem anyone has had success with that either. I know that some of the banks that offer newcomer programs advertise that you can get an auto loan through them. I wonder if anyone has given thought to seeing if a Canadian bank would refinance your existing loan so that they would become the lienholder and you could import the vehicle without a problem. That might not be feasible though. Another thought I had was that some of the Canadian banks seem to have US branches, mainly for Canadians who are snowbirds in the Winter. RBC, I believe...I'm not sure about others. I wonder if it would be possible to while still in the US, open an account with the US version of RBC and then get my auto loan refinanced through them...then when I go to Canada, maybe it would be easier to get permission to export the vehicle since RBC is in Canada as well and they could transfer the loan to the Canadian RBC. Just a thought. Has anyone tried anything like this? ;D

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Couldn't you take out a loan from a Canadian bank and then pay off your vehicle in the US?

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
June 02, 2015 (MR, RPRF, & PCC for Spouse)
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent w/Application: L-8.5, R-9.0, W-9.0, S-8.5
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
June 19, 2015; TLU (Medical results have been received): July 20, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Required as I was a US Citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Issued Jan 07, 2016 - Arrived in Mail Jan 21, 2016
LANDED..........
June 19, 2016 - FINALLY - HURRAY!!!!
steaky said:
Couldn't you take out a loan from a Canadian bank and then pay off your vehicle in the US?
Hi Steaky,

I'm guessing you mean a personal loan. The thought did cross my mind. That would clear the title issue. The only thing that concerns me with that is that as a newcomer with no established credit it might be hard to get a personal loan for enough money to cover it without having the vehicle itself as collateral as it would be in the case of an auto loan. For that matter I could even just try to get a personal loan from a US bank to pay off the auto loan (at a higher interest rate) but again it would be the same issue of getting a loan for that much without collateral. I have enough savings to pay it off but if I do that I won't have the necessary POF to land. I'm wondering if a Canadian Bank would do a refinance of my US loan given that they would then be able to hold the lien on the vehicle as it would be imported to Canada.

kwyatt75

cacouncill94

Mar 28, 2018
Hi Steaky,

I'm guessing you mean a personal loan. The thought did cross my mind. That would clear the title issue. The only thing that concerns me with that is that as a newcomer with no established credit it might be hard to get a personal loan for enough money to cover it without having the vehicle itself as collateral as it would be in the case of an auto loan. For that matter I could even just try to get a personal loan from a US bank to pay off the auto loan (at a higher interest rate) but again it would be the same issue of getting a loan for that much without collateral. I have enough savings to pay it off but if I do that I won't have the necessary POF to land. I'm wondering if a Canadian Bank would do a refinance of my US loan given that they would then be able to hold the lien on the vehicle as it would be imported to Canada.

kwyatt75

What resolution did you come to? I find myself in the exact situation right now and I dont know what to do.

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
I have read some of the posts about importing a vehicle to Canada. I have been thinking on how to deal with this as I have a vehicle that I am still paying on that I would want to import into Canada from the USA. The problem is that as I have read about in my research, you have to have the title which you won't have if the bank still has a lien for your auto loan. I also see everywhere, including on official Canadian sites that if you can get your bank to give you a letter indicating it is OK to export your vehicle from the US to Canada then you could do it. From what I read it doesn't seem anyone has had success with that either. I know that some of the banks that offer newcomer programs advertise that you can get an auto loan through them. I wonder if anyone has given thought to seeing if a Canadian bank would refinance your existing loan so that they would become the lienholder and you could import the vehicle without a problem. That might not be feasible though. Another thought I had was that some of the Canadian banks seem to have US branches, mainly for Canadians who are snowbirds in the Winter. RBC, I believe...I'm not sure about others. I wonder if it would be possible to while still in the US, open an account with the US version of RBC and then get my auto loan refinanced through them...then when I go to Canada, maybe it would be easier to get permission to export the vehicle since RBC is in Canada as well and they could transfer the loan to the Canadian RBC. Just a thought. Has anyone tried anything like this? ;D
I was in the same situation. I went to my car financing institution in the US and asked for a personal loan to clear the car loan. It was a pretty easy process but of course the rates went a bit high because now it's a personal loan. They gave me a letter saying the car loan was cleared. Depending on what US state, you might have the car title already which names the bank as the lien holder.
I was able to import car into Canada with these documents.

saddlepatch

Star Member
Oct 1, 2012
Sun City Center, Florida
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-11-2018
Doc's Request.
02-26-2019
AOR Received.
21-01-2019
Med's Request
05-02-2019
Med's Done....
08-02-2019
Passport Req..
22-03-2019
Hi!! Am in a similar situation right now. Can you share what you did for your car ?
I'm not sure if this will help as I'm not the OP but I was in the same position and my solution is stupidly obvious but hear me out:

We paid off the car.

Now there are many factors of course: how much do you owe? How much can you put down more a month to pay it off? And the most important question is: Is the car worth bringing up anyways?

Heres what we did:

Key factors for our situation: We both work just above min wage. My spouse had to take a second job temporarily, twice, to achieve this goal faster. We were approved much faster than we initially thought for their PR card. We also live with a roommate so we don't share the higher expenses that most renting/home owners do, as everything was inclusive (For your reference we pay $500 per month for rent, + $110 for our Cellphones and $60 collectively for our Disney World and SeaWorld annual passes per month. We both make about $2k a month). We both have BAD credit scores between 450 and 510, so no personal loans or credit cards etc could be applied for.

1- We determined if this car was worth bringing up; the car despite it's high mileage (160k as this is written) has never given us issues that we couldn't afford, and most were cosmetic. The mechanical issues were only basic annual maintenance anyone should be doing with their car to keep it lasting longer. To this date, this car has been the most reliable vehicle both of us have ever owned (And we're now die hard Mazda Loyalists). We also determined via the RIV website (The Registrar of Imported Vehicles which you will deal with when it comes to exporting/importing it, but thats a whole other topic that has a master post on this section of the forums) that this car was admissible and wouldn't need much changes done outside of Day-Time Running lights to make it past inspection. (But again that's a whole other topic, but its good to see if your make and model is accepted for importation in the least. You can worry about the rest later, or research it more and tick things off the list)

2- Price: We only paid just above 12k for our car. At the time we were approved for PR, we still owed 9.7k of that loan (This was back in April), having only made min payments before hand.

3- We sat down and looked at our expenses and our budget--how much, realistically, could we put down more each month? After we divided everything, we came to the agreement to put 1k each on the car a month. (And no, not all the time did we reach that 2k goal). We also continued to pay the min required ON TOP of the added funds.

4- Sacrificing time together, mental stress, luxuries and sleep: My spouse worked a 2nd job, twice to help offset costs and move the process along quicker. This put a lot of strain on our daily lives BUT we knew when enough was enough. They took a small break, then closer to pay off, they started another job again for a month. We ate out less, opt'd for cheaper alternatives to name brands and avoided going to the theme parks a lot during this time frame.

5- After 5 months, we paid off the car and now own the vehicle.

I posted a screenshot of our transaction history to show the money going into the car each pay period.

The chances of any Canadian bank refinancing you is slim, as the US company gains nothing from doing this. They will keep you for as long as they can until you're paid and will make it difficult for you otherwise.

However, if you have a good history with this bank you got your loan from, have an amazing credit score, etc, I find most of the time they will give you the letter needed to import the vehicle but this is VERY rare. The best thing you can do is call and ask. The worst thing they're gonna say is no.

But in that case, you have other options, like selling the car back to the dealership, or seeing if by some miracle, that someone will buy out your lien. (Although this can be very difficult to do as that person needs to apply and be approved etc etc).

Have you applied yet for immigration? Maybe hold off until the car is closer to being paid off (As you will only have so much time to land after being approved which may not be enough time, depending on the factors, for you to pay off the car)?

I know it seems like the most obvious answer but it really will save the headache later. This was a huge stress for us, but we bit the bullet and got the job done. It was painful to know we were approved and could go home anytime, but we knew we couldn't go without a car and we didn't want to go about applying for a new loan and having to make double payments in two countries.

You could attempt to get a personal loan in Canada, but that can be risky as you will be starting life in Canada with a clean bill of credit history. Jumping in so brashly with a personal loan may lead you to hurting your credit if you find that is too much of a commitment. It all depends how disciplined you are and what your current credit building habits look like. Knowing our weak credit scores, we did not find this to be a smart alternative and did not want to be 10k in debt before landing foot in Canada. We wish to build our credit with easier pay off goals with credit building credit cards, as we know that's what's easier for us.
It's a catch 22, depending on YOUR habits. If you are fully confident you can pay off this loan in a decent amount of time and not miss payments (we did not feel this confident) then this will certainly give you a good foundation credit! But most Banks won't give such a high personal loan for a new resident, so I'm not sure how the person above me managed to obtain such a loan. (Unless they owed a very low sum the bank did not find risky, the bank accepted equity on their home or other assets came into play. IDK this person so I cannot say for certain what helped them get approved for a personal loan as a new resident)

Sorry, I know that is a lot of info, but I hope it kinda helps!

Last edited:

aj_modulus

Jan 14, 2019
Hi!! Am in a similar situation right now. Can you share what you did for your car ?
My vehicle was financed through Ford credit, and while they have an operation in Canada they were unwilling to let me export the vehicle. I came up first on a work permit, so no proof of funds issues. Wound up running around shortly before moving up to Canada and getting a personal loan to pay off the vehicle, although I didn't have the title in hand due to it being mailed to the wrong place when I moved. So I drove up with my US vehicle, finally got the clean state title routed to me a month later, drove back to the US and did the export and a temporary import. A month later once our house sale in the US closed I paid off the personal loan and all is well.

Didn't bother looking into personal loans in Canada as I had no credit here, and generally they don't care about your US credit score unless it's something big like a mortgage. Nor did I look into getting a Canadian auto loan since I wasn't permanently importing the vehicle at the time. Doing the personal loan kept enough cash available to move to Canada and get everything sorted while keeping enough in the US to cover issues with selling the house. Wife wasn't working at the time due maternity leave so that cut down on the income a bit and made us a bit more sensitive to keep cash to cover expenses for a few months.

Vehicle was only about two years old at the time, and at the time we thought it would be a temporary move to Canada so we wanted to hang on to it. The other vehicle we had was already paid off so no issues there.

Johnparker

Star Member
Apr 1, 2016
Hi Steaky,

kwyatt75
Hi, I am in same situation. I moved to canada on Jan 2019 on PR. I had imported my one car which i had title with me. The second car is financed car and still in US . I want to bring it to Canada but I am not getting any such information whether Any canadian bank can take that loan and allow vehical to be imported to canada. I am still searching my options in canada to get loan transferred here in canada so i can import vehicle.

Katkitty

Mar 13, 2023
I’m joining in the conversation! I got my dual citizenship last year and wintered in Canada. US financed car and until I can settle, my address is US. I have a lien of sizeable amount. I don’t see being able to purchase comprable in Canada so I’m trying to figure out alternative.
Question does anyone bring their SS income to Canada to show as income to begin credit?