+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reentering Canada with An Expired PR Card

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
He will only need an antigen test to fly to the States but PCR within 72 hours of arriving in Canada. That, too, is covered. Just need to make sure I can get into Buffalo and cross him back to the border within that 72 hour period of his PCR test in Mexico.
Sure - I just don't know that stuff. I don't even know what applies to you crossing and coming back. Just that he should be fine with his expired pr card and other docs you have.

Reactions: JoanneB

JoanneB

Star Member
Nov 11, 2021
Can anyone please share their experience if crossing the border with expired PR card worked ?
My husband is a permanent resident. We applied for his card renewal in August, and as of December 25 still had not received his new card. SO, he booked a separate flight back and crossed at Buffalo. No problem at all. He needed to give proof that he was a permanent resident, so showed his expired card, his driver's license and his receipt for the renewal payment. He had other documentation just in case, like Notice of Assessments for taxes, vehicle ownership and insurance, a utility bill with his name on it..... all of which he didn't need. He crossed the border within 5 minutes.

Reactions: armoured

JoanneB

Star Member
Nov 11, 2021
Sure - I just don't know that stuff. I don't even know what applies to you crossing and coming back. Just that he should be fine with his expired pr card and other docs you have.
You were right - he crossed coming back no problem whatsoever. Thanks!

Reactions: armoured

JoanneB

Star Member
Nov 11, 2021
Hi all,

Myself and my parter leave Canada soon for a trip to our home country and were wondering if it's better to go through the PRTD process or fly into the US and cross into Canada by land with an expired PR card.

We don't have a lot of time in our home country and think that the PRTD might take longer than expected. We don't have the original COPR docs, but we have copies. We'll also have new passports (the old are expiring soon) when we reenter Canada.

Have any of you recently crossed into Canada by land with an expired PR doc? Any tips? How was it for you?
Just did the same thing - reentered Canada via the Rainbow bridge with his expired card and other documents to show his residency in Canada. Got across the border in less than 5 minutes.

Ade26

Jan 4, 2022
Hi Everyone,
I have a similar issue, I just put in my application to renew my PR but intend to travel next month (February). I have a valid Belgian passport, will that suffice to get me back into Canada?
Looking forward to your suggestions and comments.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,
I have a similar issue, I just put in my application to renew my PR but intend to travel next month (February). I have a valid Belgian passport, will that suffice to get me back into Canada?
Looking forward to your suggestions and comments.
Thanks
By air? No, that won't suffice. You need a PRTD.

If by land, then yes, you're good.

Reactions: Ade26