+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Redidency obligation question

A13

Aug 24, 2021
My PR card is valid till August 2022. I came to canada only fora month after getting PR and went back. So I won't be completing 3 yr stay period for extensions of my PR card by 2022. Is that so that I cannot leave canada for another 2 year??
Kindly respond I have I am traveling in November this year with my wife and two kids.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My PR card is valid till August 2022. I came to canada only fora month after getting PR and went back. So I won't be completing 3 yr stay period for extensions of my PR card by 2022. Is that so that I cannot leave canada for another 2 year??
Kindly respond I have I am traveling in November this year with my wife and two kids.
You have 5 years from your landing date to complete the 5 years if this is your first PR card. The expiry date on your PR card is not relevant. Do your spouse and children have PR? You can’t sponsor them if you aren’t compliant with your RO. If not reported yes you must remain in Canada for 2+ years to become compliant.

A13

Aug 24, 2021
Hi,

Thanks for your reply
My wife and kids have PR as well.
1. Is there a possibility that we might get questioned by immigration officer upon landing.(as we all came for landing and stayed for a month and went back.?
If yes , what can I tell?
2. If we are allowed to enter, when should we apply for our PR renewal. Is staying atleast for 2 years noy one of the eligibility criteria to apply for renewal of PR card?
We stayed only for one month. If this is the case what should I do?
Help would be appreciated.

A13

Aug 24, 2021
You have 5 years from your landing date to complete the 5 years if this is your first PR card. The expiry date on your PR card is not relevant. Do your spouse and children have PR? You can’t sponsor them if you aren’t compliant with your RO. If not reported yes you must remain in Canada for 2+ years to become compliant.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply
1. Is there a possibility that we might get questioned by immigration officer upon landing.(as we all came for landing and stayed for a month and went back.?
2. If we are allowed to enter, when should we apply for our PR renewal. Is staying atleast for 2 years noy one of the eligibility criteria to apply for renewal of PR card?

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
You can leave anytime

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thanks for your reply
1. If you haven’t met your RO there is always a risk of being reported and/or questioned at the airport.
2. You will always be able to enter as a PR. You will need to wait until you have met your RO to apply for your PR card renewal. In your case it looks like you will need to remain in Canada for the next 2 years before you are back in compliance with your RO.