+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

reconciliation, divorce status, and PR

marcelloa1

Feb 28, 2023
My wife and I were separated while she was applying for her PR. They asked for a proof of separation, to which we provided a letter signed by a lawyer stating none of us would want anything from the other, etc.

She ended up getting her PR, however, instead of it showing her marital status as "separated", it shows as divorced (no judge has ever granted us a divorce).

Nothing was ever asked from during her application nor after the results.

Now, a year later, we reconciled. We know for a fact we want to be together, we have travel tickets and pictures to prove we travelled more than once to see each other, etc. So now I know for a fact that I am moving back to Canada so we can stay together.

Question is - how do we inform IRCC of our reconciliation? Is it through a web form or some place else? Or should we apply for spousal sponsorship and then explain in the application itself?

Best regards!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My wife and I were separated while she was applying for her PR. They asked for a proof of separation, to which we provided a letter signed by a lawyer stating none of us would want anything from the other, etc.

She ended up getting her PR, however, instead of it showing her marital status as "separated", it shows as divorced (no judge has ever granted us a divorce).

Nothing was ever asked from during her application nor after the results.

Now, a year later, we reconciled. We know for a fact we want to be together, we have travel tickets and pictures to prove we travelled more than once to see each other, etc. So now I know for a fact that I am moving back to Canada so we can stay together.

Question is - how do we inform IRCC of our reconciliation? Is it through a web form or some place else? Or should we apply for spousal sponsorship and then explain in the application itself?

Best regards!
It appears as though you reconciled before she got PR but you didn’t inform IRCC. Even if you started “dating” again not informing IRCC that you were no longer separated may mean sponsorship is now impossible. The fact that you did not correct the fact that landing documents said you were divorced may be another issue. Hire a lawyer for your best chances of being able to sponsor and look into whether you can qualify for PR on your own.

marcelloa1

Feb 28, 2023
hi man!

no, she got her PR before we started "dating" again. and just now,literally a month ago, we decided to actually reconcile. Do we still have time to inform them of our decision? If so, how can we even try? I did look for an area online to be able to contact them but found nothing. this is the most important part of the question!

we did not know how to inform IRCC that the documents were wrong for since we were asked for separation documents and we sent them, we thought it was some kind of error in their end and it would be corrected, or maybe it was just a nomenclature problem.

lastly, any recommendations of lawyers?

really appreciate it

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hi man!

no, she got her PR before we started "dating" again. and just now,literally a month ago, we decided to actually reconcile. Do we still have time to inform them of our decision? If so, how can we even try? I did look for an area online to be able to contact them but found nothing. this is the most important part of the question!

we did not know how to inform IRCC that the documents were wrong for since we were asked for separation documents and we sent them, we thought it was some kind of error in their end and it would be corrected, or maybe it was just a nomenclature problem.

lastly, any recommendations of lawyers?

really appreciate it
Looked at your previous posts and that is not what you said. Still should have correctly the divorce on your landing document no matter what if you were not divorced. When did she land? How long had you been dating and married when you first applied for sponsorship? If you have only reconciled for a month how would you have traveled to see each other multiple times in Brazil? You will have to have longterm proof of reconciliation before attempting to sponsor given your situation. For example would have proof of being together for a year before attempting to sponsor to show that you are back together for good and this is not a temporary situation.

marcelloa1

Feb 28, 2023
ok heres the entire love story

considering "comes and goes", wee've been together for a total of 5 years and 2 months now.

when she first applied for the PR, we were already married (on paper for a few months, but together for 4ish years), but at the time of the application, we were separated (she was in Canada,I was in Brazil, not together anymore).

then she gets asked for proof of separation and when we have to look for it, talking to lawyers and stuff, love happens and we decide we dont want to split for good (thats when i made the other post that you are referring to). we look for a way to change the status about it, i post here, we get no replies, we think thats how things are supposed to go. so yea, we spoke about getting back together, but we were far apart from each other, and it looked like she would miss her chance to her pr and we then decide to not get back together at that time.

couple months go on, life goes on.. she gets her pr, I'm living my life in brazil.

comes May 2023 and I travel to Canada to try and talk. I stay from May 2023 through October. it was great, best months of our relationship, but I had things to do in Brazil and we decided to give it 2 months (Octobet until December) to let it settle and talk.

so December comes, she goes to Brazil, stay until January, and we finally decided that yes, we want our life back together for good.

To sum it up, we started dating again when I went to Canada on May 2023 (I do have a work visa, PGWP, so I wasnt there illegally), and now, January 2024, we hit the hammer that our story wont end. it took a few months exactly for we wanted to live and think it through, and wanted to make sure is wasnt a temporary thing.

Sorry if it seemed like I was hiding facts but this is all true and theres proof of it all. As most relationships, we had our setbacks, break ups, but untimately, want to be together.

i have lived in Canada for a long time, did high school exchange program in 2012, college from 2016 through 2019, pgwp from 2021 through 2023 (still valid until March this year), so this is not an attempt to use her for visa purposes if this ever crossed somebody's mind. its just a love story.

oh and we never tried a sponsorship yet!

all help and positivity is appreciated! thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
ok heres the entire love story

considering "comes and goes", wee've been together for a total of 5 years and 2 months now.

when she first applied for the PR, we were already married (on paper for a few months, but together for 4ish years), but at the time of the application, we were separated (she was in Canada,I was in Brazil, not together anymore).

then she gets asked for proof of separation and when we have to look for it, talking to lawyers and stuff, love happens and we decide we dont want to split for good (thats when i made the other post that you are referring to). we look for a way to change the status about it, i post here, we get no replies, we think thats how things are supposed to go. so yea, we spoke about getting back together, but we were far apart from each other, and it looked like she would miss her chance to her pr and we then decide to not get back together at that time.

couple months go on, life goes on.. she gets her pr, I'm living my life in brazil.

comes May 2023 and I travel to Canada to try and talk. I stay from May 2023 through October. it was great, best months of our relationship, but I had things to do in Brazil and we decided to give it 2 months (Octobet until December) to let it settle and talk.

so December comes, she goes to Brazil, stay until January, and we finally decided that yes, we want our life back together for good.

To sum it up, we started dating again when I went to Canada on May 2023 (I do have a work visa, PGWP, so I wasnt there illegally), and now, January 2024, we hit the hammer that our story wont end. it took a few months exactly for we wanted to live and think it through, and wanted to make sure is wasnt a temporary thing.

Sorry if it seemed like I was hiding facts but this is all true and theres proof of it all. As most relationships, we had our setbacks, break ups, but untimately, want to be together.

i have lived in Canada for a long time, did high school exchange program in 2012, college from 2016 through 2019, pgwp from 2021 through 2023 (still valid until March this year), so this is not an attempt to use her for visa purposes if this ever crossed somebody's mind. its just a love story.

oh and we never tried a sponsorship yet!

all help and positivity is appreciated! thanks!
Would look to see if you qualify for PR on your own since it looks like you have a good chance of not qualifying for spousal sponsorship. You could have paid for advice from a lawyer or immigration consultant to ask how you can change the marital status on a PR application. Not receiving information from a volunteer forum is not a good reason for not applying correctly. You could have even called IRCC customer service or sent in a webform asking for guidance about how you can update you marital status on a PR application. You are also asked when landing if the information provided is correct and you are usually asked specifically about whether your family composition has changed especially your marital status.

marcelloa1

Feb 28, 2023
Would look to see if you qualify for PR on your own since it looks like you have a good chance of not qualifying for spousal sponsorship.
I’ll look into finding a good lawyer to see it through better, thanks though!

If I may ask - where can we tell IRCC we intend to reconcile? Any specific website? Saw something about the CRA website but I’m guessing is not there