+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reason for harsh treatment of Pakistani spousal applicants?

iamsadtoday

Feb 3, 2024
Fraud in Pakistan is not much more than most of the developing countries where Canada gets its immigrants from. Why is it that Pakistani applicants always get moved to London Visa office which throws the applications into the garbage bin for months with no updates, while other countries applicant's get a chance to go to faster visa offices like Missisauga.

Just for reference, people applied on same date as me from other countries have started to get pre-arrivals, medicals and even PPR, while I have got only AOR, SA and BIL.

To add insult to injury we are not getting spousal TRV's either from the Abu Dhabi visa office either.

What have we done to deserve this?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Fraud in Pakistan is not much more than most of the developing countries where Canada gets its immigrants from.
Without editorial comment (i.e. it is not me writing this), here's a link to what I understand is an IRCC internal document - obtained via access to information act provisions - with some 'country information.' (Note I think it's just a coincidence the tweet shows Pakistan so prominently)

The library of information itself (not all countries but a fair number of them):
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.stevenmeurrens.com/docs/IRCC+Country+Information+Library.pdf

Pakistan is on page 60 (by my count), read the "Key Information" paragraph. Eg "...pervasiveness of unreliable information makes it difficult for an officer to be satisfied under IRPA, regrettably even when a genuine applicant presents genuine information."

In short, IRCC does not seem to believe that fraud in Pakistan is 'not much more than' most other countries - but rather that it is worse. Those aren't the only reasons processing might be slower, notably security issues. The prevalence of arranged marriages also raises the risk of immigration fraud esp for spousal apps.

That said, last I saw, Pakistan is consistently in the top 10 of source countries for immigration to Canada, so it's not like the doors are closed.

[Repeat for clarity: the info in the link above is from IRCC. I don't know how up to date, I'm not attesting to its accuracy, etc.]

Last edited:

anaszuberi

Dec 29, 2020
Without editorial comment (i.e. it is not me writing this), here's a link to what I understand is an IRCC internal document - obtained via access to information act provisions - with some 'country information.' (Note I think it's just a coincidence the tweet shows Pakistan so prominently)

The library of information itself (not all countries but a fair number of them):
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.stevenmeurrens.com/docs/IRCC+Country+Information+Library.pdf

Pakistan is on page 60 (by my count), read the "Key Information" paragraph. Eg "...pervasiveness of unreliable information makes it difficult for an officer to be satisfied under IRPA, regrettably even when a genuine applicant presents genuine information."

In short, IRCC does not seem to believe that fraud in Pakistan is 'not much more than' most other countries - but rather that it is worse. Those aren't the only reasons processing might be slower, notably security issues. The prevalence of arranged marriages also raises the risk of immigration fraud esp for spousal apps.

That said, last I saw, Pakistan is consistently in the top 10 of source countries for immigration to Canada, so it's not like the doors are closed.

[Repeat for clarity: the info in the link above is from IRCC. I don't know how up to date, I'm not attesting to its accuracy, etc.]
Please see country reports of all other countries in the region it's same story.

aksd654654

Jan 5, 2022
From what I have observed in the community there are increasingly more and more cases of marriage fraud originating from Pakistan. That will lead to increased scrutiny and rigor with any future applicants as it should.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Please see country reports of all other countries in the region it's same story.
I think the language in the Pakistan one differs markedly from that in others. Degree of issues matters. Just the sentence I quoted is very, very strongly worded for an internal general document like this: "makes it difficult for an officer to be satisfied under IRPA, regrettably even when a genuine applicant presents genuine information." Read that again: "Makes it difficult ... to be satisfied under IRPA ... even when [the information is genuine.]" Officers are required to be satisfied under IRPA - that language is rather extraordinary.

Some other aspects of country situation that may impact immigration also differ substantially, it seems to me - although I'm not an expert.

As a more general comment, if you're trying to understand whether there is some reason for applications from Pakistan being treated differently, the wrong approach is to note similarities, but rather assess - as honestly as possible - what things are different.

(Human nature is that when one wants one's group/country/self to be treated differently - or to justify different/better treatment - one emphasizes the differences, but when you want to be treated the same - or to complain about different treatment - to emphasize the things that are similar. In both cases these are biases of analysis)

The countries of comparison matter, too.

But anyway, have at it - complain to someone in government if you want, I don't have a dog in this fight.

Last edited:

Cloud5

Jan 11, 2024
Fraud in Pakistan is not much more than most of the developing countries where Canada gets its immigrants from. Why is it that Pakistani applicants always get moved to London Visa office which throws the applications into the garbage bin for months with no updates, while other countries applicant's get a chance to go to faster visa offices like Missisauga.

Just for reference, people applied on same date as me from other countries have started to get pre-arrivals, medicals and even PPR, while I have got only AOR, SA and BIL.

To add insult to injury we are not getting spousal TRV's either from the Abu Dhabi visa office either.

What have we done to deserve this?
It's happening for a lot of African countries also, if not all of them. So you are not alone. You have to wait.