+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-Entering Canada with expired PR card

carolinkaa

Jun 19, 2017
Hi there,
I am a PR of Canada, however my card is expired. I have reapplied for a new card however it will not get here in time. It says that I cant urgent rush it because my trip is less than 3 weeks away (I leave July 11).
I am leaving as my father has been diagnosed cancer and we do not know how long he has left.. I booked the trip when things began terminating
I am from Poland and it is a visa-exempt entry into Canada, however I understand you would still need ETA and as a PR I cannot apply for this.
My question is can I apply for a permanent resident travel document online? I am worried that I will not be in Poland long enough to receive the travel document back to Canada.
Please help! How do I get back to the country

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Believe and others can correct me but PRTD applications are still paper only so that is probably not an option plus as per instructions you have to send passport with the application and there is no published processing time estimate.

Only alternative is the US land border option given as you know you will not be able to board a direct flight to Canada with an expired PR card.

Hindsight wonderful thing but I guess immigration design the PRTD process in such a way as paper only to make it more attractive for people to renew their PR cards if they ever need to travel.

Last edited:

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi there,
I am a PR of Canada, however my card is expired. I have reapplied for a new card however it will not get here in time. It says that I cant urgent rush it because my trip is less than 3 weeks away (I leave July 11).
I am leaving as my father has been diagnosed cancer and we do not know how long he has left.. I booked the trip when things began terminating
I am from Poland and it is a visa-exempt entry into Canada, however I understand you would still need ETA and as a PR I cannot apply for this.
My question is can I apply for a permanent resident travel document online? I am worried that I will not be in Poland long enough to receive the travel document back to Canada.
Please help! How do I get back to the country
No online process. You have only 2 options:
1. Apply for PR TD only after arriving in Poland. To make the process quicker, you can drop off your application/passport at the Warsaw VAC, and pick it up in person when completed. You can request urgent processing.
http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/Poland/contact_us.html
Canada Visa Application Centre
VFS Global Poland Sp. z o.o.
Al. Jana Pawla II 23, room 223
00-854, Warszawa,
Poland

2. Skip the PR TD process, fly to USA, and cross back into Canada by land. For this no valid PR card or PR TD is needed.

kuansari01

Nov 7, 2019
Hi Guys,

My PR card expired in July 2021 and I applied for a renewal PR card in May 2021. Unfortunately I guess due to Covid, everything is so slow that I just got the acknowledgment of receipt of my application for a replacement PR card on Sep 14. I had to travel to Pakistan on Sep 10 in an emergency as my father had a heart attack. Upon my arrival in Pakistan, I applied for the PRTD but I highly doubt that they will process my application urgently. My question is that what are my options to return back to Canada? I have a valid US visit visa and I have heard I can do it through the US Canada Land border but I am confused as to what will I say to the US border security when they ask me why am I visiting the US?

please help. Extremely worried

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Guys,

My PR card expired in July 2021 and I applied for a renewal PR card in May 2021. Unfortunately I guess due to Covid, everything is so slow that I just got the acknowledgment of receipt of my application for a replacement PR card on Sep 14. I had to travel to Pakistan on Sep 10 in an emergency as my father had a heart attack. Upon my arrival in Pakistan, I applied for the PRTD but I highly doubt that they will process my application urgently. My question is that what are my options to return back to Canada? I have a valid US visit visa and I have heard I can do it through the US Canada Land border but I am confused as to what will I say to the US border security when they ask me why am I visiting the US?

please help. Extremely worried
Be honest. Explain that you are returning to Canada via the US and will drive to the Canadian border. Would travel with your expired PR card if they ask if you have status in Canada.