+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quickest way to get my spouse (from India) a visa to come to Canada

Prath_

Feb 16, 2021
I am a PR holder of Canada since Nov 2019. However, I haven't stayed in Canada since my first landing (15 days). Been in India and working in India since then.
I plan on moving to Canada this year, preferably with my spouse.

My spouse, however, does not have a visitor visa, neither have we applied for her PR.

Could you guys help me with all the options that I have at my disposal, in order to bring my spouse to Canada at the earliest (in case I plan to move there by September this year)?

We really want to move as soon as possible. I don't mind moving there by myself initially and then have her come over within the following 3-4 months. All options are welcome.

I really appreciate your inputs on my current situation.

Thank you in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a PR holder of Canada since Nov 2019. However, I haven't stayed in Canada since my first landing (15 days). Been in India and working in India since then.

My spouse, however, does not have a visitor visa, neither have we applied for her PR.

Could you guys help me with all the options that I have at my disposal, in order to bring my spouse to Canada at the earliest (in case I plan to move there by September this year)?

We really want to move as soon as possible. I don't mind moving there by myself initially and then have her come over within the following 3-4 months. All options are welcome.

Thank you in advance.
Your only option would be for your spouse to secure a TRV but that isn't very easy. You should certainly try and it won't hurt any future sponsorship application. To sponsor your spouse you'll need to return to Canada and be still compliant with your RO.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thank you in advance.
TRV is fastest but likely has a 50/50 chance of approval.

The other option would be for your spouse to apply for a study permit. Chances of approval are likely 50/50 as well for that however could increase depending on the study path your spouse is taking in Canada (for example, if a PhD or a Master's at a top university, this will increase the chances of approval).

Prath_

Feb 16, 2021
TRV is fastest but likely has a 50/50 chance of approval.

The other option would be for your spouse to apply for a study permit. Chances of approval are likely 50/50 as well for that however could increase depending on the study path your spouse is taking in Canada (for example, if a PhD or a Master's at a top university, this will increase the chances of approval).
Thank you for your inputs. We were also exploring the option of a study visa for a 1 year Master's program.
I would like to know if it is possible to obtain a study visa, enter Canada, apply for a PR for my spouse once there, and then drop out of the course once the PR application has been submitted. Can she reside in Canada while her PR is still under process, after dropping out of the course?

Thank you once again for your inputs.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your inputs. We were also exploring the option of a study visa for a 1 year Master's program.
I would like to know if it is possible to obtain a study visa, enter Canada, apply for a PR for my spouse once there, and then drop out of the course once the PR application has been submitted. Can she reside in Canada while her PR is still under process, after dropping out of the course?

Thank you once again for your inputs.
I would not recommend doing this. If she goes the study permit route and it's approved, you can certainly submit an inland spousal sponsorship application - however I would strongly recommend she stay in school - at least until the OWP is approved and you have AIP. If she comes and drops out immediately, IRCC may see that as visa abuse / misrepresentation and this could cause issues with the spousal sponsorship application. It's not a good idea to mess around like this. If she has no intention of attending school, forget about the study permit and stick with the TRV.

Prath_

Feb 16, 2021
I would not recommend doing this. If she goes the study permit route and it's approved, you can certainly submit an inland spousal sponsorship application - however I would strongly recommend she stay in school - at least until the OWP is approved and you have AIP. If she comes and drops out immediately, IRCC may see that as visa abuse / misrepresentation and this could cause issues with the spousal sponsorship application. It's not a good idea to mess around like this. If she has no intention of attending school, forget about the study permit and stick with the TRV.
Great! Thanks! Guess that's the study plan out of the window, since we really can't afford to spend a bomb on a Master's degree as of now, while in the midst of acclimatizing ourself in a new country/environment.

I guess I shall try the TRV route. It is worth a shot.
For a TRV application for my spouse, do I need to be in Canada, or can we apply now when we both are in India?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Great! Thanks! Guess that's the study plan out of the window, since we really can't afford to spend a bomb on a Master's degree as of now, while in the midst of acclimatizing ourself in a new country/environment.

I guess I shall try the TRV route. It is worth a shot.
For a TRV application for my spouse, do I need to be in Canada, or can we apply now when we both are in India?
You can apply now while you are both in India.

Prath_

Feb 16, 2021
Your only option would be for your spouse to secure a TRV but that isn't very easy. You should certainly try and it won't hurt any future sponsorship application. To sponsor your spouse you'll need to return to Canada and be still compliant with your RO.
Thanks for your response.

What do you mean by "be still compliant with your RO"?

Prath_

Feb 16, 2021
To sponsor your spouse you must be meeting or be able to meet the 730 days out of 5 years since your landing date residency obligation.
Understood.
I got my PR in November 2019.
So, I should be good to sponsor her if I go to Canada anytime in this year (2021), right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.