+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding staying in Windsor on Canadian PR and working in Detroit on H1B

Tej12

Jun 4, 2022
Hi, I am currently a H1B holder living in Detroit and working in Detroit. I recently got my Canadian PR and wanted to move to Windsor while commuting almost daily to Detroit to work. I had these questions that I am really hoping someone can answer:

1) Is this even allowed ? Will commuting back and forth everyday lead to problems with the border patrol officers or revoking of my H1B visa?
2) Let's say it is allowed and I can do it. Anyone know what the implications of this are:
a) Do I have to make sure I return back to Canada every evening on the same day?
b) Do I pay taxes in both Canada and the US?

I have tried to find answers but it hasn't been clear to me so far. Thanks in advance !

vm007

Feb 5, 2022
Hi, I am currently a H1B holder living in Detroit and working in Detroit. I recently got my Canadian PR and wanted to move to Windsor while commuting almost daily to Detroit to work. I had these questions that I am really hoping someone can answer:

1) Is this even allowed ? Will commuting back and forth everyday lead to problems with the border patrol officers or revoking of my H1B visa?
2) Let's say it is allowed and I can do it. Anyone know what the implications of this are:
a) Do I have to make sure I return back to Canada every evening on the same day?
b) Do I pay taxes in both Canada and the US?

I have tried to find answers but it hasn't been clear to me so far. Thanks in advance !
1) Yes, it is allowed. Lot of people do it.
2) (a) Not sure but I don't think you need to return back to Canada every evening. Please check on this.
(b) Yes, but Canada and US have a treaty. So, you only pay whatever is extra that Canada charges to Canada since their taxes are higher.

Reactions: Tej12