+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions on settler's effect list, i.e. goods to bring/follow to Canada and other docs for immigration

radicalprotnns

Star Member
Nov 10, 2022
Hi, I am now planning for my landing in Canada which I target to be in a few months. I would like to ask some questions about documents to be presented to the immigration officer at the airport.

1) The Canadian government website (link here) says that we may need "letters of reference from former employers". I find this weird. Can I just print the work experience letters I submitted for my express entry application?

2) I read somewhere that one also has to show proof of funds to the immigration officer. However, it's not listed in the link above. Can anyone point me to an official source on this matter?

3) Regarding the declaration of goods to be brought/to follow, how extensive do you have to be with the goods to follow? I'll give an example. I have around 20 books in my home country that I want to bring to Canada. For my initial landing, I'll probably only bring 5 and I'll bring the others next time over the next few years when visit in my country for the winter holiday. But suppose that upon returning home, I found another book I want to bring but did not declare it in my goods to follow. What will happen? Do they actually check the next time I return to Canada? I find this part strange. I understand the purpose of declaration of goods that you brought on the trip but the goods to follow seem arbitrary to me.

I'm hoping to hear from other's experiences on this matter. Thanks so much and I appreciate the patience.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
3) Regarding the declaration of goods to be brought/to follow, how extensive do you have to be with the goods to follow? I'll give an example. I have around 20 books in my home country that I want to bring to Canada. For my initial landing, I'll probably only bring 5 and I'll bring the others next time over the next few years when visit in my country for the winter holiday. But suppose that upon returning home, I found another book I want to bring but did not declare it in my goods to follow. What will happen? Do they actually check the next time I return to Canada? I find this part strange. I understand the purpose of declaration of goods that you brought on the trip but the goods to follow seem arbitrary to me.

I'm hoping to hear from other's experiences on this matter. Thanks so much and I appreciate the patience.
If the new book value within the $800 limit 48 hours exemption, then you are good to go. Otherwise, it would be discretion by the customs officer if you need to pay the duty.