+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about translations

Fodors_Nicole

May 31, 2020
Hi folks,

I'd really appreciate your input on translations. Much of our supporting evidence is in Spanish, and the translator fees are REALLY stacking up. So, we're wondering:

1 - Did anyone translate only part of a document (e.g., first page of a 10-page rental contract)? Any thoughts on this idea?

2 - Which supporting documents did you translate? Which did you leave in the original language?

(Please let me know if you sent things in *before* 2019, as the translation requirements for supporting documents changed around then.)
Thank you!!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. Not a good idea. While a visa officer may not care, you may either get a request for it to be further translated, or they may just disregard it, and if you have no other proof for whatever that document was for, you may get a procedural fairness letter for not providing sufficient proof.

2. If you intend to rely on the supporting document for anything, and it's not in English or French, it must be translated. Anything you submit that isn't in English or French is ignored.

bian07

May 19, 2017
I think if its important documents then you could even risk getting the application sent back.