+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about sponsorship and 10 year undertaking

Uhu

Jan 15, 2010
I was born in Canada.
In October 1999, my ex-husband (we all make mistakes! ;D ) arrived in Canada as a visitor.
We applied for his PR in January 2000.
At that time, the undertaking was for 10 years. If I remember correctly, he got his PR in the fall of 2000 (September).

I intend to sponsor my new husband (this one is the good one :)) this spring. I understand that the sponsorship/exclusion is now three years.

My questions are:
1-Does the previous sponsorship prevent me from sponsoring my new husband now?
2-Do we have to wait until after September 2010?
3-Does my responsibility for my ex-husband (as a sponsor) end with him getting his Canadian citizenship (this was in 2005)?
4-Does CIC notify me when my responsibility has ended?

Thank you for your help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Uhu said:
I was born in Canada.
In October 1999, my ex-husband (we all make mistakes! ;D ) arrived in Canada as a visitor.
We applied for his PR in January 2000.
At that time, the undertaking was for 10 years. If I remember correctly, he got his PR in the fall of 2000 (September).

I intend to sponsor my new husband (this one is the good one :)) this spring. I understand that the sponsorship/exclusion is now three years.

My questions are:
1-Does the previous sponsorship prevent me from sponsoring my new husband now?

No

2-Do we have to wait until after September 2010?

No

3-Does my responsibility for my ex-husband (as a sponsor) end with him getting his Canadian citizenship (this was in 2005)?

No, you are responsible for 10 years after his "landing"

4-Does CIC notify me when my responsibility has ended?

No

Thank you for your help.
PMM

Uhu

Jan 15, 2010
Thank you PMM, I really appreciate your answers.
Could you tell me if CIC (or anyone) would notify me if my ex-husband had requested government financial support?
When I send the sponsorship documents for my new husband I don't want to find out that I'm in default.
Is there a way of finding out from CIC without causing a problem for my new husband and I?

Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Uhu said:
Thank you PMM, I really appreciate your answers.
Could you tell me if CIC (or anyone) would notify me if my ex-husband had requested government financial support?
When I send the sponsorship documents for my new husband I don't want to find out that I'm in default.
Is there a way of finding out from CIC without causing a problem for my new husband and I?

Thank you.
No, CIC doesn't track it unless the Province has sent in a notice to CIC. Once CIC receives your sponsorship, that is when they will check with the province to see if your ex has claimed welfare.

PMM

Uhu

Jan 15, 2010
Is there anyway I can find out from the province before I send my new sponsorship form?

Thanks again.