+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

questions about moving back to canada

Feb 13, 2007
HI,

I've got a couple of questions regarding the move back to canada from the UK.

I've been here for several years and will be planning to move back quite soon as a canadian citizen.

I've already contacted a professional moving company and got quotes for the move back to canada.

There is one query that I do have.. are the things that I have acquired (clothes, jewlery etc) liable to be taxable and do I need to pay duty on them. Some reference books about living and working in canada stipulates that personal things could be taxable and I must pay duty on my own clothes etc. Does this also include toys or can I ship those as part of the things to follow...

anybody with experience of moving back please help.. I'm in the process of packing and if it is taxable.. then I'll have to reconsider whether it is worthwhile to keep it.

any help is appreciated.. thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jtc_in_cumbria said:
HI,

I've got a couple of questions regarding the move back to canada from the UK.

I've been here for several years and will be planning to move back quite soon as a canadian citizen.

I've already contacted a professional moving company and got quotes for the move back to canada.

There is one query that I do have.. are the things that I have acquired (clothes, jewlery etc) liable to be taxable and do I need to pay duty on them. Some reference books about living and working in canada stipulates that personal things could be taxable and I must pay duty on my own clothes etc. Does this also include toys or can I ship those as part of the things to follow...

anybody with experience of moving back please help.. I'm in the process of packing and if it is taxable.. then I'll have to reconsider whether it is worthwhile to keep it.

any help is appreciated.. thanks
You should read this publication from CBSA http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4105/rc4105-06-11e.pdf

PMM