+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

questions about "legally living in Canada as internation student for 1 year"

Whopper

Dec 15, 2008
Hello all,

I am not currently residing in Canada. However, I graduated Master degree from Canadian University. I went back to my country after I graduated in 2006. However, I had lived in Cananda for over 2 years. Am I eligible for consideration? what do you think? I really hope they will consider my application.

Thanks in advance for all opinions

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you are not in Canada anymore, you can not apply under the "in Canada" category of FSW. If you had left less than a year ago, you would have been eligible to apply under CEC.

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
Hi Leon,
I did not notice that those who studied but have already left Canada are ineligible for applying... Could you give the link with this information, please?
My point in asking this is that I want to apply in Januiary, while still a student, but in May I considered to leave and get a second degree in Europe... do you mean that as soon an Int'l student leaves Canada permanently, she is ineligible to apply under student/worker category anymore?
do you know whether I have to stay in Canada till the decision is made?
Thanks!

Whopper

Dec 15, 2008
Hi Kisunja,

That's what I am wondering too. I'll let you know if immigration returns my application and its reason is that I am ineligible to apply because I did leave Canada.

If that so, I think it is really unfair and very ridiculous reason for those who studied in Canadian University in the past. Let's see what happen with my simplified application. I sent it August 2008.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp category 3 is: For students or workers who are legally residing in Canada, and have done so for at least 12 months immediately before submitting their application.

For CEC, in the initial proposal, they did not include people who had already left Canada but when they finalized the rules for CEC, they decided to make an allowance for people who have left less than one year before they apply.

For FSW category 3, it seems they have decided not to do this. Maybe they will change it later. As the rules are now, it doesn't matter if you left yesterday or if you left 20 years ago but if you leave after you submit your application, you should be ok.

kisunja

Star Member
Nov 2, 2008
Thanks, guys, for pointing that out for me! I was sure that as soon as you have spent 12 months as a student or worker, you can apply. Well, at least you can apply and leave. But man, that's weird...
Hope they will change thsi rule!