+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about childs PR card.

vicky

Jul 6, 2006
Hello,

First of all I would like to thank canadavisa.com for the wonderful service that they provide. I got my Canadian PR process completed in about 15 months with their help. I was extremely satisfied with the professionalism in which the whole application process was handled.

We (I,wife and child) landed in Canada in Nov 2005. But we cam back to the US as I am still working here. Although both my wife and I got our cards, my son did not get his PR card (Photograph did not come out OK or something). I have sent hard copy letters, FAX etc, to the CIC but have not gotten a response yet.

What furthur action can I take from the US, so that my son will be issued his PR card ? Will he lose his residency without a PR card ? He is a US citizen, so can he travel with us to Canada without a PR card ?

Does the 2 years out of last 5 years requirement for maintaining residency start from the date of landing ?

It would be great if you could answer these questions.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

vicky said:
Hello,

First of all I would like to thank canadavisa.com for the wonderful service that they provide. I got my Canadian PR process completed in about 15 months with their help. I was extremely satisfied with the professionalism in which the whole application process was handled.

We (I,wife and child) landed in Canada in Nov 2005. But we cam back to the US as I am still working here. Although both my wife and I got our cards, my son did not get his PR card (Photograph did not come out OK or something). I have sent hard copy letters, FAX etc, to the CIC but have not gotten a response yet.

What furthur action can I take from the US, so that my son will be issued his PR card ? Will he lose his residency without a PR card ? He is a US citizen, so can he travel with us to Canada without a PR card ?

Does the 2 years out of last 5 years requirement for maintaining residency start from the date of landing ?

It would be great if you could answer these questions.
1, You have to be in Canada for the re-issuance of the PR card, so your son would have to return to Canada to have his picture re-taken and then pick up the card in person.
2. It is a rollling 5 year period, starts on the date you first left Canada.

PMM

vicky

Jul 6, 2006
Hello PMM,

Thanks for the fast reply. My concern is that would we need to apply for any special travel permit or something like that for my son to get back into Canada ? Or can we just go in (using PR cards for me and my wife ) and use my son's US passport as his travel document. I remember seeing on the PR card that once you are a Resident, you would have to use the PR card for travel. I live in the Los Angeles area. Is there anything I can do by getting touch with the Canadian consulate here ?

When you say collect the PR card in person, you mean we would have to stay in Canada till we get his card, or can we just go in, apply and leave (having given a relative's address for the card to be sent to) ?

Been reading some of the other posts with you detailed and expert comments. Please accept my congratulations on your dedication in helping out others with such questions. It is truly a great service that you are providing.

Pat2000

Nov 7, 2011
Travelling with Child with expired PR card

Hi!
I have my valid PR card, but my son's PR card has expired 1.5 years ago. Will there be problem while traveling from US to Canada by Bus? I will greatly appreciate your response.
Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Travelling with Child with expired PR card

Pat2000 said:
Hi!
I have my valid PR card, but my son's PR card has expired 1.5 years ago. Will there be problem while traveling from US to Canada by Bus? I will greatly appreciate your response.
Thanks.
They may not let you on the bus unless he has a valid PR card or a valid visa to enter Canada or a visa exempt passport. Does he hold a US passport?

Pat2000

Nov 7, 2011
Re: Travelling with Child with expired PR card

Leon said:
They may not let you on the bus unless he has a valid PR card or a valid visa to enter Canada or a visa exempt passport. Does he hold a US passport?
Thank you Leon for your prompt response. What if I go by somebody's car from US to Canada? I really appreciate your suggestion. Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you go by private car, there is no issue. The problem is just with commercial carriers. They do not like being held responsible for trying to bring people to Canada who don't have a visa. Trying to board a plane would be the same thing.

You might have some problem with the immigration officers because his PR card is expired though. They might want to know why you have not renewed his PR card yet and if he still meets the residency requirements etc. but they can not refuse to let him in. Even if they want to revoke his PR, they still must let him in and give him a chance to appeal.