+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question on relevant experiences of self employed person

Whopper

Dec 15, 2008
Hello all and PMM,

Please help me by giving your opinion on whether I am eligible for "Self employed person" or not. I'm not so sure on this.

"In respect of cultural activities,
two one-year periods of experience in self-employment in cultural activities, or
two one-year periods of experience in participation at a world class level in cultural activities, or
a combination of a one-year period of experience described in (A), above, and a one-year period of experience described in (B), above,"

What does the word "a world class level in cultural activities" mean? My career is a computer graphic animation (Noc 5241). I had worked at Lucasfilm Animation for 3 years. Is it consider as World class level.

Thanks in advance for every opinions

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Whopper said:
Hello all and PMM,

Please help me by giving your opinion on whether I am eligible for "Self employed person" or not. I'm not so sure on this.

"In respect of cultural activities,
two one-year periods of experience in self-employment in cultural activities, or
two one-year periods of experience in participation at a world class level in cultural activities, or
a combination of a one-year period of experience described in (A), above, and a one-year period of experience described in (B), above,"

What does the word "a world class level in cultural activities" mean? My career is a computer graphic animation (Noc 5241). I had worked at Lucasfilm Animation for 3 years. Is it consider as World class level.

Thanks in advance for every opinions
Depends what level of work you were doing, you experience has to be in one of the following NOC categories: http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/Occupations.aspx?val=5

PMM

redblade

Apr 8, 2010
Hi Whopper,

Did you apply for self-employed visa?

Under "Definitions" on page cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/self-employed/definitions.asp it says:

a self-employed person, means a minimum of two years of experience, during the period beginning five years before the date of application for a permanent resident visa and ending on the day a decision is made on the application.

However, in this PDF file: cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/4000E.PDF, it says that you must already have 2 years of experience before the date of the application (bottom of page 5, "Relevant Experience")

Which one is correct? Can you please help me understand this if you dont mind?

Thanks.