+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on PR in Canada (Relocation after PR thru SINP)

Mar 5, 2013
Hello Everyone,
Just like every­body else does, I really want to thank all the experts on this site that helps and guides new comers to Canada.

My ques­tion is just a lit­tle con­fus­ing (it has been a lot con­fus­ing to me). I am a per­ma­nent res­i­dent liv­ing in Saskatchewan. Here is how I got my PR Status:

=> 2009 (I came to Ontario, Canada as an inter­na­tional student)

=> 2010 (Upon fin­ish­ing my edu­ca­tion and get­ting my work per­mit, I moved to Saskatchewan in order to look for new opportunities).

=> 2011 (I applied for Saskatchewan Immi­gra­tion Nom­i­nee Pro­gram and pre­pared to apply for my PR upon get­ting a suc­cess­ful nomination).

=> 2012 ( I got my med­icals, my pass­port was called for visa stamp­ing and I also crossed the bor­der and re entered in Canada as a landed immi­grant. I have also received my PR Card six months back).

So here is my ques­tion:
As we say that upon being a Per­ma­nent Res­i­dent of Canada, an indi­vid­ual can:
1)Live, work or study any­where in Canada
2)Receive most social ben­e­fits that Cana­dian cit­i­zens receive, such as health cov­er­age
3)Be pro­tected under Cana­dian law and the Cana­dian Char­ter of Rights and Freedoms.

then is it true that mov­ing to a dif­fer­ent province could affect my cit­i­zen­ship as I mis­rep­re­sent myself by not liv­ing in SK if at all I chose to relo­cate?? Roomers have it here that you have to live in SK till you become a cit­i­zen which I do not get. I have lived in SK for almost 3 yrs now and have been a healthy tax payer. And if I think I get a bet­ter oppor­tu­nity else­where I can­not move?? I have con­sulted lawyers but all they care about is their 200$ per hour for meet­ing with­out giv­ing me a cer­tain answer. I mean I think Canada is united and a free coun­try! Do we not have the Char­ter 6 Right? Not that I have a prob­lem liv­ing in Saskatchewan, but isn't the act of not allow­ing PR hold­ers set­tle any­where else noth­ing but try­ing to cage indi­vid­u­als just because they worked there, payed taxes and obeyed the immi­gra­tion law? Where did the Char­ter 6 Right go then?? We talk about the SINP Contract that I was nominated as I had shown intentions of living in SK! I agree!! But just like the Government went by my true intentions, how can my intentions confirm and promise my healthy and progressive living in SK for years till I become a Citizen?? Will the govt pay me for it if I do not get a job or just another basic paying job?? NO!!!. As some of us might not want to, I do not wish to do basic jobs here if I see a better scope in any other province that gives me a field job and a better livelihood!I have so many oppor­tu­ni­ties from other provinces knock­ing at my door yet I am afraid to take them up as I do not wish to lose my PR Sta­tus here and ruin my hopes of becom­ing a cit­i­zen here. It's like I feel stuck here trying so hard but not finding a good job when I see other opportunities at other provinces!

Is it pos­si­ble for you experts out there to put some light on my sit­u­a­tion and be able to tell me if the above require­ments were true? I would cer­tainly feel blessed if you all can. I apol­o­gize for tak­ing up your time and do want to thank you for everything.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do not get overexcited about rumours.

The truth is, there is no law or even immigration rule that says you must live in SK until you become a citizen or even for a certain amount of time after becoming a PR.

The PNP's would of course like it if you stayed because if everybody leaves after getting PR, it means they have wasted their time and money on processing your application.

However, I have not yet heard of a PNP going after a PR who left the province. If they ever start to, you can honestly say that all you signed was that you had intentions to live in SK after getting your PR and you did at the time you landed and therefore they can not say that you committed misrepresentation. After landing, intentions can change, a job may be lost and another opportunity comes up somewhere else.

Mar 5, 2013
Leon said:
Do not get overexcited about rumours.

The truth is, there is no law or even immigration rule that says you must live in SK until you become a citizen or even for a certain amount of time after becoming a PR.

The PNP's would of course like it if you stayed because if everybody leaves after getting PR, it means they have wasted their time and money on processing your application.

However, I have not yet heard of a PNP going after a PR who left the province. If they ever start to, you can honestly say that all you signed was that you had intentions to live in SK after getting your PR and you did at the time you landed and therefore they can not say that you committed misrepresentation. After landing, intentions can change, a job may be lost and another opportunity comes up somewhere else.
@ Leon

Thank you so very much for giving me this input for me to have an edge to what I could look ahead at. Like you said, even I was not able to find a single law upon spending hours on research that said it was mandatory to live in the nominating province irrespective or your personal situation after becoming a PR. I have spent thousand's of dollars behind my education and my last job was no where close to what my career goals are. Today it has been 4 months since I am in search of a job that meets my career goal, but yet I stand unsuccessful. It has come to a point where I just need to worry about paying my recurring bills then think of what intentions I had or should have to make sure I abide by the Immigration law. Even the CIC Call Center gave me a green flag to use my Mobility Rights when I explained them my situation. The Govt of SK might not like this, but there are many of these individuals who have great degrees under their belt but yet are flipping burgers and calling it their life just because they do not want to miss out on their citizenship at a later stage. I will be more then glad to take that step of pursuing my career goal. My PR Card says that I am a Permanent Resident of Canada and not just any province and as such I don't think any province can border me from going to a different province to live a basic livelihood that I had dreamed of when I first thought of coming to this oh so beautiful country.

Thank you Leon, I am a regular reader of your posts and as such a great fan..

BADRI

Mar 6, 2013
Re: Question on PR in Canada

Sir,I am Badrinarayanan from India and I am 49 years old. I am a graduate with over 27 years of experience in Sales/Marketing and other areas. I would like to come to Canada with PR and my family would join me after 2 years. What are the possible ways to apply for PR? Is there any other way to come to Canada and get a job? PR applications would be opened by May 3rd 2013 only. I had undergone IELTS in September 2012 and have obtained 6.0 Band overall. Please help me in providing the required details to my mail ID : badri_narayanan64@yahoo.com
Regards
Badrinarayanan

dealdish

Mar 25, 2012
Our Irish family applied for sinp in may 12 and pr also in may.we have now been asked to send copies of all passport pages and photos.DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG MORE IT WILL TAKE.T he immigration emailed me to say it is final stage and we are anxious to change jobs.PLEASE PLEASE HELP :eek:

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dealdish said:
Our Irish family applied for sinp in may 12 and pr also in may.we have now been asked to send copies of all passport pages and photos.DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG MORE IT WILL TAKE.T he immigration emailed me to say it is final stage and we are anxious to change jobs.PLEASE PLEASE HELP :eek:
Unfortunately nobody can tell you how long anything with immigration will take but as long as they are asking you for stuff, that is a good sign because they are moving along, working on your case.

Are you currently in Canada on a work permit? If you are getting your PR through SINP with employer support, it will not be safe to quit the job with that employer until you have your PR.

If you are currently outside Canada waiting to get PR through SINP before you move, you should at least land in SK and then see about the rest.

ankurpatelp

May 10, 2013
@Roarinscorpion

Hey man could you please tell me if you moved another province once you got your p.r card and got Any trouble to renewals of P.R????????????

My situation exactly same as you.... I m very confused to move another province...

Thanks.

koolkarmaguy

Star Member
Jan 26, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/08/2010
Nomination.....
12/29/2011
AOR Received.
June 27 2012
Med's Request
June 4 2012
Med's Done....
June 29 2012
Interview........
none. In-process on May 23, 2013.
Passport Req..
September 17 2013
Could you not read the advice from Leon above in the same thread?.. (It is written in english)