Med's Done....
12-08-2010
Passport Req..
06-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
LANDED..........
09-03-2012
While going through my photos to put with my application for Permanent Residency, I do have photos of the two of us together taken by others, but a lot of the photos are either of me or of him, with the other one of us being the one taking the picture. For example me at Christmas with him taking the picture. Should I include these types of photos for evidence of our relationship even though we both are not in the picture together?

Also when I am writing explanations on when we met, how we met and such, what should I refer to him as - my common law partner, my common law spouse, or what? It feels kind of high school-ish to refer to him as my boyfriend. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why not call them what they are.

ie My bf/common-law-spouse.

I would not routinely refer to them as bf/gf, or partner, especially if they are your spouse.

I've questioned several times on these forum when someone that is asking about spousal sponsorship that refers to their spouse as bf/gf. Either you are married our you are not. I lived 25 years with a wife that was more like a daughter than a wife. Even when we did not live in the same house I was still legally married and responsible as such.

AngelB

May 13, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 7th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 26th 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Nov 11th 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 23rd 2010
LANDED..........
Nov 26th 2010
spouse
   /n. spaʊs, spaʊz; v. spaʊz, spaʊs/ Show Spelled [n. spous, spouz; v. spouz, spous] Show IPA noun, verb, spoused, spous·ing.
–noun
either member of a married pair in relation to the other; one's husband or wife.
I would call them your common-law spouse, since common-law is technically similar to marriage.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: photos. I think a couple photos of just one of you is ok if it's from an occasion where you have other photos together (i.e. your hair and clothes are the same, the background is the same etc.) But I think that they really want to get a sense of you as a couple so I would focus on couple photos and photos of you with family and friends and limit the number of solo shots that you include.

As for what to call your sponsor, well, what do you call him when you introduce him to people? Do you say, for instance, "I'd like you to meet Bob, my common-law spouse/my common-law partner/my boyfriend"? Personally I would just use "partner" but I think whatever you feel comfortable with should be fine.

hoping75

Nov 5, 2007
Hi,

I included many pictures of My Husband or myself alone in the pictures, but we had the same background in the pictures. On our Honeymoon trip, and a few others trips we were alone, so we were only able to get a couple of strangers passing by to take our picture together. The pictures of us each individually were very helpful showing our activities together even if we took each others pictures.
My Husband received his Visa, and we are happily together.

Showing your time together and with family and friends are very important. I also wrote on the back of each picture where we were and when, as well as who any of the other people in the pictures were.

Good luck with everything, I wish everyone the best.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
MizzCanAm said:
I do have photos of the two of us together taken by others, but a lot of the photos are either of me or of him, with the other one of us being the one taking the picture. Should I include these types of photos for evidence of our relationship even though we both are not in the picture together?
Photos of the two of you are definitely better. If you don't have enough, include both shots - one of you in front of the Xmas tree that he took, and the one of him in front of the Xmas tree that you took.
Photos where only one of you is with the other's family, though, are fine. This shows you've met each other's families and they approve of the relationship.
When writing the caption or explanation for the photo, include who took the photo if only one of you is in it.
Also when I am writing explanations on when we met, how we met and such, what should I refer to him as - my common law partner, my common law spouse, or what? It feels kind of high school-ish to refer to him as my boyfriend. Any suggestions?
Don't refer to him as your boyfriend. CIC isn't issuing visas to boyfriends. He's your common-law spouse or partner. (In real life if you want to call him your boyfriend, no one cares, but for the application 'boyfriend' and 'girlfriend' will just complicate issues.) In explanations and photo captions, you can also just use his name. "This is a photo of Mary Smith and her common-law partner Bob Jones standing in front of the Taj Mahal during their trip to India in March 2008." vs "This is a photo of Mary and Bob ..."

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I suggest you call him by his name. I met John in a scuba class in Belize. I met Jane's father on June 30, 1999 while visiting her in Australia.

On the pictures write John with his brother, March 2008, Belize. Photo take by Jane. You could put parenthetical remarks in too, John Doe (Sponsor) with his brother, March 2008, Belize. Photo take by Jane Doe (applicant or spouse), but I wouldn't bother on every single picture. And I would definitely include those single pics if it was taken at one of your partner's family gatherings or trips for which you have itinerary/boarding card or other documentary evidence.

MizzCanAm

Mar 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-11-2010
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
Med's Done....
12-08-2010
Passport Req..
06-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
LANDED..........
09-03-2012
Thank you all for your suggestions. This is exactly what I was looking for!

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
CIC often contrasts common-law vs. marriage with phrases such as "spouse or common-law partner" but occasionally uses the phrase "common-law spouse" too, so I think that either "partner" or "spouse" is acceptable.