+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on bring settlement funds 2nd time

IvanM

May 4, 2014
Hi,

When I landed the first time 3 years back, I showed customs my Bank Draft with the settlement funds. That was just a short visit (15 days) and I did not open any bank account in Canada. I simply took the draft back and while exiting did not show the draft to anyone.

Now I'm coming for good and will again bring in a Bank Draft. Will it create a problem at customs this time or not ?

Thanks,
Ivan

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No problem as long as if you carrying cash, bank draft and travel cheques amount exceeding $10,000, you would have to declare it at customs.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hsingh35 said:
Are bank drafts valid without having an account in canadian bank...
What do you mean? Do you want to cash it out or bring it with you when you return to your country after landing?

karamatnajeeb

Star Member
Aug 4, 2013
KSA
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
20-03-2014
I had carried a bank draft in my name when doing my landing in March and obviously it had no account number but i had no problem at all. I opened account upon reaching there and started withdrawing money per my requirement.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
I am not sure if one can "land" more than once..

If one comes to Canada without going through the landing procedure, you do not need any funds. Then you are a tourist or so.
If you do the landing however then yes, you also get your PR card and all that jazz.

So how can you land a second time without being a PR in the first place? Maybe I am confused?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
polara69 said:

If one comes to Canada without going through the landing procedure, you do not need any funds. Then you are a tourist or so.
If you do the landing however then yes, you also get your PR card and all that jazz.

So how can you land a second time without being a PR in the first place? Maybe I am confused?
Lots of people had done this. Some people lost their PR status and return to Canada landing as a new PR. You can dig some examples in this forum.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
polara69 said:

Maybe he is using the English terminology for physically landing at an airport when coming via air? E.g. When I arrived in Canada, I was still 'landing' as per the English word, but not as per the immigration terminology.

To answer the OP's question, the second time I came to Canada (which was only 3 months after my initial landing), I was only carrying a $10 bank note in my pocket. Wasn't required to go to the cashier, and nobody asked what I was carrying.