+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on Bank Account

RISHIFERRARI20

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
As a Canadian PR who lives outside of Canada, can I create a bank account in Canada and have salary credited there without entering the country? My (potential) employer is Canadian and I am allowed to work remotely for the time being due to Covid. But they mandate that I must have a Canadian bank account, which I do not have. I do have a SIN number and my PR card with me.

Background: I became a Canadian Permanent Resident at the end of 2019 and landed in Vancouver and spent a couple of months exploring job opportunities etc. I got my PR card as well as my SIN number, but did not open a bank account right away as I wasn't sure if I was going to stay there or move to Toronto. I returned to India when covid started, to be with my family. Now, I have a potential job opportunity in Toronto. They are okay with me working remotely from India for the time being, but expect me to be in Toronto in a few months. The only problem is that they can only credit my salary to a Canadian bank account. I know I can open one online from here, but will that need to be activated or require my physical presence before it can be used?

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
As a Canadian PR who lives outside of Canada, can I create a bank account in Canada and have salary credited there without entering the country? My (potential) employer is Canadian and I am allowed to work remotely for the time being due to Covid. But they mandate that I must have a Canadian bank account, which I do not have. I do have a SIN number and my PR card with me.

Background: I became a Canadian Permanent Resident at the end of 2019 and landed in Vancouver and spent a couple of months exploring job opportunities etc. I got my PR card as well as my SIN number, but did not open a bank account right away as I wasn't sure if I was going to stay there or move to Toronto. I returned to India when covid started, to be with my family. Now, I have a potential job opportunity in Toronto. They are okay with me working remotely from India for the time being, but expect me to be in Toronto in a few months. The only problem is that they can only credit my salary to a Canadian bank account. I know I can open one online from here, but will that need to be activated or require my physical presence before it can be used?
I was able to open deposit only account in RBC from California. This was pre-COVID. They had a form to fill in their website and a banker got in touch a few days later. Try it out with all major banks and see if they can setup online access too.

joeskc

Feb 5, 2021
I opened my bank account with TD Canada from Kansas. They had a question on their online form and you need to select at least one option to proceed - Are you a tax resident of Canada or USA or any other country.
In my case I selected USA and was asked to scan my Indian passport and take a selfie. The account was open within few minutes.

But if you want to take the the advantage of the Newcomer to Canada programs that many banks offer then you need to be in Canada and/or visit the branch. Else you can open a regular checking account and pay the monthly maintenance fee which is waived if you satisfy certain conditions.

localhost8100

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
For anyone else reading this thread.

I am Indian citizen. Lived in US on F1 and H1 for 7 years. Moved to Canada on Apr 28. I still had my US job. My US employer hired a third party payroll company to run my canadian payroll. The Canadian payroll company needed my SIN and Canada bank account ASAP. I was in quarentine so I was not able to go to Service Canada to obtain SIN.

I applied SIN online. The employer needed a proof that they have applied for SIN. I just gave them the proof of applying SIN online. Created account in TD without SIN and all good.