+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question from CEC applicant - Two or More Certificate (BOTH Earned in Canada)

VincentVally

Feb 14, 2021
Canada
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
27-11-2022
Hi guys,

I'm a CEC applicant, who studied and worked in Canada.

Got a question for Express Entry - Two or More certificates (that education history category for extra points):

I know there were some old posts about this, but all of them are about WES or ECA assessment. But I earned both degree/diploma in Canada, so I'm not sure how to proceed, and here is the background:

I got a Bachelor's degree (4 years) from University of Toronto, and a Graduate Diploma (specifically, Graduate Diploma in Professional Accounting) from York University. The question is, the graduate diploma is completed in 1 semester (4 months) but it's definitely a legitimate credential as I was conferred by York University in their graduation ceremony last year, with all transcripts, diploma (verified PDF version), hard copy available.

The question is: can I get two or more certificate points (128 points without a spouse) in EE?

Initially I asked IRCC this question on twitter (their social media team) and here is their response (directly quoted):

Hi. If you have 2 or more degrees, diplomas or certificates and at least 1 was for completing a post-secondary program of 3 years or more, the length of the 2nd isn’t important as long as you completed it.

But when I actually created the EE profile, I have to select an option out of 1 year, 2 year, bachelor, master, or doctor degree for education history.

I'm not sure if I should choose 1 year for this program. For now I chose 1 year and I got the points. But I want to make sure I will not be rejected.

Based on my interpretation of IRCC's response, I think I'm qualified for the points - Please note I explicitly mentioned to IRCC on Twitter that this program is 4 months (1 semester only) and they gave me the reply.

I also searched the keywords and I found a similar IRCC social media reply on twitter, which reads:

Question asked by a person: I am unable to enter the details for the graduate diploma when I fill out my express entry profile. It requires number of years completed (need to be in whole numbers and hence I can’t enter 3 months) and level of degree(only gives the option for 1,2,3 years and masters degree).

IRCC response: Hi. From the information you have provided you may select 'One-year degree, diploma or certificate' for your 3 month graduate diploma. Hope this helps!

What do you guys think? I asked immigration professionals but they said they do not have an absolute yes or no answer. Do you think IRCC social media team may not be that "authentic"?

For the recent EE draws, I wouldn't get selected if I removed this diploma and go with Bachelor's.

I could use any help here, thank you!!!