None
Passport Req..
16 June 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26 June 2015
LANDED..........
10 August 2015
Hello Everyone,

Hope we are all doing well in this weird times of Covid. Its been awhile since I have been on the platform but you guys were so helpful when I was moving to Canada, that I feel I have an obligation to help others, so thank you all!

I have a friend who's PR is set to expire in March of 2021. He and his spouse are elligible to apply for Citizenship based on how long they have been in Canada so the question is, should they just apply for Citizenship before the end of the year or renew the PR cards because of the nearing expiry.

I am off the opinion that they should just apply for the citizenship and once their application is in and confirmed as received, all they have to do is wait. The only thing of course is that they will not be able to travel till the process is complete.

Am I giving sound advise?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Hope we are all doing well in this weird times of Covid. Its been awhile since I have been on the platform but you guys were so helpful when I was moving to Canada, that I feel I have an obligation to help others, so thank you all!

I have a friend who's PR is set to expire in March of 2021. He and his spouse are elligible to apply for Citizenship based on how long they have been in Canada so the question is, should they just apply for Citizenship before the end of the year or renew the PR cards because of the nearing expiry.

I am off the opinion that they should just apply for the citizenship and once their application is in and confirmed as received, all they have to do is wait. The only thing of course is that they will not be able to travel till the process is complete.

Am I giving sound advise?
As long as they don’t need to travel yes citizenship alone is fine. Given wait times for citizenship I would also renew your PR card.

Reactions: AshesNdust

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Apart from the paperwork of applying and fees, there is no downside to applying for both at once.

On the other had, should they need to travel near or after the time the PR card expires, they'd have to apply for a PRTD while abroad - with attendant delays. While no guarantee they would get the PR card before, having the application and documentation for new card on file and in process - copies retained by applicant - would likely improve chances PRTD would be issued more promptly.

But if there is zero chance they will need to travel, doesn't make much difference.

[Ritual statement that PR status does not expire, only the PR card does.]