+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about visitor visa - dependent children

Naeblis

Sep 2, 2007
I have a few questions about the necessity of visitor visas for my wife and her child.

My wife has a visitor visa which is about to expire in a few weeks. My step daughter was never given a visitor visa and has been in the country for some time as we get things straightened out. We are just about to send our application, however, my wife wants to leave the country and then reenter to get my step daughter a visitor visa.

This quote on the canadian site appears to say that valid legal status is no longer required for my wife,

Note: On February 18, 2005, the Minister announced a new public policy under which legal immigration status is no longer a requirement for spouses and common-law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents in Canada who wish to apply permanent resident status provided that they have an eligible sponsor. However, all other eligibility requirements continue to apply.

however further down on the same page it says

Warning: If you leave Canada before permanent residence is approved there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to return or re-enter Canada. This is especially true if you require a visitor visa. Your application may be refused or delayed if you no longer have temporary resident status to qualify as a member of the Spouse or Common-law partner in Canada class.

This seems to contradict itself.

SO two questions,

DOes my wife need to have a valid visa to apply for residency?

and

Does our daughter (9 years old) require a visitor visa at all?

Please advise as she wants to go down to the U.S on MOnday and I am very worried that this is not necessary and they may have problems getting back in.

Thank you