+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about processing times from USA or in Canada

Carmel34

Mar 3, 2019
I am a dual citizen of the USA and Canada, living in the USA, and we are considering a permanent move back to Canada with my US citizen spouse. Are there two options available for my spouse's PR status: to 1) apply now from the USA, and 2) apply from within Canada after moving there? What are the approximate processing times for both options, and other pros and cons such as ability to work legally? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am a dual citizen of the USA and Canada, living in the USA, and we are considering a permanent move back to Canada with my US citizen spouse. Are there two options available for my spouse's PR status: to 1) apply now from the USA, and 2) apply from within Canada after moving there? What are the approximate processing times for both options, and other pros and cons such as ability to work legally? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Short form: there's no certainty about processing times, 'inland' somewhat faster by perhaps 2-4 months. A little less obvious from USA as security/criminal checks from US are quick.

But simple decision point: if your 'plan' to move to Canada is more than four months away, simply apply now or ASAP; any gain from applying inland negated by applying sooner. Since you are only considering now, I assume it's at least four months in future.

While it is possible for spouse to come to 'visit' before, it is easier if PR-ship is approved and done before or close to time of planned move.

I'm going to refrain from more detail now because this is your first post on the board, more details likely not useful. You'll have time to prepare and ask questions as you go forward.

Reactions: Carmel34

Carmel34

Mar 3, 2019
Thank you for the reply. We are looking at Canada as a possible place to relocate in the future, depending on many factors of course. Outland and inland for PR status in Canada both seem to be taking a year or more. I am also somewhat familiar with the US-Canada tax treaty, and the need to file tax returns in both countries if we we moved North, but I will do more research on the implications of this. There are higher property taxes in Canada than many states in the US, but this would be offset with the lower cost of health care in Canada. Cost of living, weather, and crime are all part of the equation. Any words of advice would be appreciated, especially from any members of the forum who have left the USA and moved to Canada.

rlg05

Aug 14, 2023
Thank you for the reply. We are looking at Canada as a possible place to relocate in the future, depending on many factors of course. Outland and inland for PR status in Canada both seem to be taking a year or more. I am also somewhat familiar with the US-Canada tax treaty, and the need to file tax returns in both countries if we we moved North, but I will do more research on the implications of this. There are higher property taxes in Canada than many states in the US, but this would be offset with the lower cost of health care in Canada. Cost of living, weather, and crime are all part of the equation. Any words of advice would be appreciated, especially from any members of the forum who have left the USA and moved to Canada.

We did the same move in October 2023. Did Inland. The border crossing was very straightforward, the application process straightforward, husband had work permit and was working by Feb. Biggest thing is to have enough savings for yourself (not a requirement for paperwork) to live off one income and all the moving expenses. We had a lot of concerns, but it was for naught. Inland means he can get a work permit, and allowed us to leave the chaos faster.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for the reply. We are looking at Canada as a possible place to relocate in the future, depending on many factors of course. Outland and inland for PR status in Canada both seem to be taking a year or more.
US applications tend to take less time than others, all things being equal (speed/trust in criminal/security clearances).

Plus, since you are close, you can apply in advance, do a soft landing (cross the border, get the PR 'finalized', return to USA) and then do permanent move at your convenience. As long as you move within a year or two of becoming a PR, shouldn't be an issue (only because of the residency obligation which is 730 days in five years). If in the end spouse doesn't 'take up' PR status and move permanently, there's no punishment for it (some mild inconveniences in travel at some point which can be fixed).

So overall, makes sense to apply in advance of plans to move; not five years in advance, but timeline doesn't need to be strict.

Can't help with other questions.

Reactions: Carmel34

Lili611

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
My husband is a US citizen. I just sponsored him. Submitted Sep 1, 2023 and he's at the final stage of getting his Ecopr.
I'm not sure about the tax return, because his family did it for him back in the US, and I filed his tax in Canada.
Depend on where you're living in the US and where you'll live in Canada, the costs of living, weather, crime are different. I'd say it is a big decision to make, so you can begin to research and collect documents now.
Good luck!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We did the same move in October 2023. Did Inland. The border crossing was very straightforward, the application process straightforward, husband had work permit and was working by Feb. Biggest thing is to have enough savings for yourself (not a requirement for paperwork) to live off one income and all the moving expenses. We had a lot of concerns, but it was for naught. Inland means he can get a work permit, and allowed us to leave the chaos faster.
Nothing complicated about inland, in particular, and good reasons to do so for some (esp if they'd have to live apart if they waited). But since the poster here and spouse-sponsor are living in USA together now, they'll have the advantage of applying from abroad and getting the PR status - including right to work, of course - in advance of moving, if they apply enough in advance.

Also note: they've made changes now that even 'outland' apps can apply for work permit, the spouse just has to physically arrive in Canada to apply for one (so same waiting period but inland/outland no longer different in this respect).