+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about police certificate


Dec 7, 2018
greetings forum members

I'd like to ask some questions about the PCC, beforehand i wanna explain my situation first.

I am from Indonesia and currently studying in Australia as a master's student, i will be graduating near the end of this month from which i will have stayed in Australia for 2 years, after graduating my student visa will expire and i won't be able to enter Australia for 2 years. Since the IIRC requires PCC for every country i have stayed in during the last 10 months for 6 months or more in a row..i must obtain Australian PCC

My question is whether i should get the Australian PCC RIGHT NOW while i am still in the country, or AFTER I HAVE DEPARTED from Australia and obtain the PCC from my home country (Indonesia) since entry into Australia is not possible. my feeling is the latter because the former gives you a time-window of a couple of weeks during which you may commit a crime and get away with it on your PCC. but i am not quite sure/

The IIRC website says
For any other country, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row.

Some countries put expiry dates on their police certificates. If you have a police certificate that expired, include it. We’ll accept it if:

  • it was issued after the last time you stayed there for 6 months or more in a row
  • it is not for the country where you currently live
An officer may ask for a new one later on."

I'm quite confused by the statement "After the last time you stayed there" because it is quite ambigous

Thank you


Star Member
Sep 19, 2014
It doesnt matter.
You need a police certificate from Australia in any case. Its best that you take it while you are in the country...its less work.
Dont be confused by the language. We got all our police certifiates before we left the country and they were accepted and approved accordingly.


Champion Member
Jan 25, 2013
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Passport Req..
Get it after you leave the country. Website clearly states that you should get it after you've resided in the country for 6 month in a row. You have been resided there for more than six months in a row now. Follow what CIC says, there have been posts about rejections where people got PCCs before leaving the country. Someone got lucky doesn't mean you will be too.