+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about GTF

Sep 4, 2019
I will be moving before thanksgiving, and I would like to know lets say during my move, If i put certain items like electronic goods etc in the goods to follow list, after few days I plan to drive back to usa buy those and take them back. For some reason, I am thinking this should be okay since I am taking only those items which I put in GTF. Does this even work?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
I will be moving before thanksgiving, and I would like to know lets say during my move, If i put certain items like electronic goods etc in the goods to follow list, after few days I plan to drive back to usa buy those and take them back. For some reason, I am thinking this should be okay since I am taking only those items which I put in GTF. Does this even work?
Generally the items that you put on the GTF list must be atleast 1year old is what i was told when i was moving. But frankly speaking no one actually checks to that minute level. You should be good.

But if you have already made the move , you wouldn't be able to take them later showing them on GTF list, thats not possible, you need to pay the duties. But if you wanna buy now and take them while moving that should be fine.

Reactions: sowsiv

CanadianInWaiting

Feb 23, 2022
Generally, it is a good idea to make a list of things with their approximate value and how long you have owned it. Like one agent recently told me, "don't surprise the agent'. I forgot to list some items in the GTF but I have had those since before I landed. So, I wrote them down on a separate sheet of paper and carried it with me along with the GTF list. They asked some questions and once they were satisfied with my answers, they returned the list to me.

Reactions: sowsiv
Sep 4, 2019
thank you both for the response. Are there any items which you can suggest which are lot better buying them here in usa than in canada? like any electronics etc. I am thinking maybe router or any such which might be very expensive over there?