+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query regarding open Work permit for spouse of International student

avroyy

Mar 2, 2014
Hi All ,

I am in the process of applying for applying for Study Permit for 2 yrs from India.I want to take my wife with me with a TRV for the same duration.What I want to know whether she can apply for a open work permit after arriving at Canada (at the port of entry) or she has to apply for the OWP from India only before she leaves.Would also want to know the process of applying for an OWP as a spouse of international student.

Thanking you in advance !!

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
avroyy said:
Hi All ,

I am in the process of applying for applying for Study Permit for 2 yrs from India.I want to take my wife with me with a TRV for the same duration.What I want to know whether she can apply for a open work permit after arriving at Canada (at the port of entry) or she has to apply for the OWP from India only before she leaves.Would also want to know the process of applying for an OWP as a spouse of international student.

Thanking you in advance !!
she can apply in ur home country(with your application or separately) or apply once she comes to canada...she cannot apply at POE. there is no separate spousal work permit form you have to use the same work permit application . so check out work permit section of Vfs

avroyy

Mar 2, 2014
mead said:
she can apply in ur home country(with your application or separately) or apply once she comes to canada...she cannot apply at POE. there is no separate spousal work permit form you have to use the same work permit application . so check out work permit section of Vfs
Thanks for your reply

avroyy

Mar 2, 2014
If I get an OWP with a TRV valid for 2 yrs for my wife,is it valid for multiple entry to Canada within that duration ?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
avroyy said:
If I get an OWP with a TRV valid for 2 yrs for my wife,is it valid for multiple entry to Canada within that duration ?
when u do the TRV application there is a field/checkbox if ur requesting a single entry or multiple entry visa so u can choose. I think application fees is different i dont remember correctly though. check out the application form.

avroyy

Mar 2, 2014
mead said:
when u do the TRV application there is a field/checkbox if ur requesting a single entry or multiple entry visa so u can choose. I think application fees is different i dont remember correctly though. check out the application form.
Thanks for your reply,but i hv 2 doubts.
(i) When i go to vfs website and opt for study permit form(for me) and work permit form(OWP-for my wife),both of us need to fill the Schedule 1 form which is for the TRV. But in this Schedule 1 form there is no option to choose for single/multiple entry(we need multiple for both of us),whereas this option is available in the TRV form of the visitor section.So I am confused whether to go for the Schedule 1 form or the visitor entry form for the TRV.
(ii) Also when i am filling the form IMM 1295 (OWP for my wife),it asks for an address and other details such job description/job title and all.So what should I enter there.For address should i put my university address ??
Kindly address these 2 issues so that i cn apply for study permit fr me and OWP for my wife asap.

Mar 29, 2014
Hi, kindly give me a piece of advice on my situation:

- I am an international student in Montreal
- Wife is on TRV and wants to apply for SOWP
- She is pregnant
- We both are Pakistani citizens

Questions:
- Will she be asked to do medicals? The x-rays?
- Will her pregnancy hinder the chances of her getting the OWP?
- We want to get the OWP ASAP so she can be covered by the province health insurance.

Please advice of what should be the best strategy.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

itrainthedevil said:
Hi, kindly give me a piece of advice on my situation:

- I am an international student in Montreal
- Wife is on TRV and wants to apply for SOWP
- She is pregnant
- We both are Pakistani citizens

Questions:
- Will she be asked to do medicals? The x-rays?
- Will her pregnancy hinder the chances of her getting the OWP?
- We want to get the OWP ASAP so she can be covered by the province health insurance.

Please advice of what should be the best strategy.
1. Did she have a medical prior to getting the TRV? If not, then she requires a medical after being in Canada 6 months. If she is pregnant, then it is up to her and her Doctor whether to have the medical or not.
2. No the pregnancy doesn't have any effect on the OWP.