+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query regarding customs and hard landing

trsf01

Feb 20, 2020
Hello all,
I am a Canadian PR living in the US because of my employment. I “soft landed” about 2.5 years ago (I am still holding good on residency requirement) and am planning to move to Canada very soon. I would be moving my household items (furniture, clothes, TV etc) which I have been using here in US to Canada with a moving company. I myself would be flying into Canada with some basic luggage.

Although I have visited Canada a few times in the past 2.5 years, I have never established residence in Canada and have been working and living in US. So my confusion is from a customs point of view would I considered “returning resident” or a “new resident”; I understand that most household items are duty exempt for “returning residents coming back after more than one year”. I did make a short visit (4 days) in the last one year, but have maintained residence in the US for about 5 years now.
My main worry is that if they consider me a resident returning after less than one year, all my household items will NOT be duty exempt, which will be a serious financial problem for me.

One more question I have is if I would need to fill out any forms like “Goods to Follow” / Unaccompanied goods when I arrive in Canada via flight? Since I would be sending out the household items via moving company separately.

Please advice if you happen to know about how this works. Would love to hear from people who have gone through similar situation.

Thanks a lot in advance! Appreciate your time and suggestions!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
New resident or settler. Yes, prepare your goods to follow form and get it stamped. When your goods arrive Canada, you would need the stamped form when you clear customs.

Reactions: trsf01