+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query on RAMQ card

TVS108

Sep 11, 2023
Hi,

I am presently residing in Montreal on a study permit, and my wife, who recently joined me with an spouse open work permit, has not secured employment yet. I would like to know if she is eligible for a RAMQ card.

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am presently residing in Montreal on a study permit, and my wife, who recently joined me with an spouse open work permit, has not secured employment yet. I would like to know if she is eligible for a RAMQ card.

Thanks.
No. You can pay to add them to your private student insurance plan I believe. There maybe coverage limits especially when it comes to pregnancy if I remember correctly.

Vjktk

May 18, 2015
Hi ,
I am moving to Montreal around Dec20 - Jan 6.
I am on worker visa sponsored by my company (TCS) . My wife is 23 weeks pregnant and due date is Mar 20. I have a son 6 yrs old with study visa.
Need suggestions will it manage to take care of her pregnancy checks and delivery without issues? I heard we can get the RAMQ card after 8weeks max and will be difficult to find ob-gyn . I will be getting My company insurance cars once I land there. If this is going to be difficult I will allow my wife to deliver the baby in India and take then after baby is born. Please advise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi ,
I am moving to Montreal around Dec20 - Jan 6.
I am on worker visa sponsored by my company (TCS) . My wife is 23 weeks pregnant and due date is Mar 20. I have a son 6 yrs old with study visa.
Need suggestions will it manage to take care of her pregnancy checks and delivery without issues? I heard we can get the RAMQ card after 8weeks max and will be difficult to find ob-gyn . I will be getting My company insurance cars once I land there. If this is going to be difficult I will allow my wife to deliver the baby in India and take then after baby is born. Please advise.
TCS seems to be applying for transfers for a very large number of their employees. The last person I interacted with even admitted that they didn’t have any work lined up in Canada when they applied to transfer to the Canadian offices and TCS didn’t want them to come to Canada. TCS seems to be offering to sponsor employees to come to Canada as perk.

Your spouse will only qualify for RAMQ after up to 3 months of being in Quebec and with proof that your spouse has a WP and is working in Quebec. There is no guarantee she will have RAMQ for labour and delivery and will not have converse for routine care. You should try to move and apply in December to qualify for RAMQ closer to 2 months versus. Unless you are getting special comprehensive insurance to cover your family while you move and before you get RAMQ the private insurance you get from employers in Canada requires you to have provincial insurance first. The private health insurance in Canada typically provides full or partial coverage for things like dental care, outpatient physiotherapy, vision care, etc. Yes it can be difficult to find a doctor accepting patients but especially if you want to pay privately. Doctors are required to prioritize patients with provincial insurance.

Reactions: Vjktk

TVS108

Sep 11, 2023
No. You can pay to add them to your private student insurance plan I believe. There maybe coverage limits especially when it comes to pregnancy if I remember correctly.

Hi,
Thanks for the info, what if she gets a job here? will she be eligible or RAMQ ?

Vjktk

May 18, 2015
TCS seems to be applying for transfers for a very large number of their employees. The last person I interacted with even admitted that they didn’t have any work lined up in Canada when they applied to transfer to the Canadian offices and TCS didn’t want them to come to Canada. TCS seems to be offering to sponsor employees to come to Canada as perk.

Your spouse will only qualify for RAMQ after up to 3 months of being in Quebec and with proof that your spouse has a WP and is working in Quebec. There is no guarantee she will have RAMQ for labour and delivery and will not have converse for routine care. You should try to move and apply in December to qualify for RAMQ closer to 2 months versus. Unless you are getting special comprehensive insurance to cover your family while you move and before you get RAMQ the private insurance you get from employers in Canada requires you to have provincial insurance first. The private health insurance in Canada typically provides full or partial coverage for things like dental care, outpatient physiotherapy, vision care, etc. Yes it can be difficult to find a doctor accepting patients but especially if you want to pay privately. Doctors are required to prioritize patients with provincial insurance.
Thank you for your reply,
Moved to Montreal on Jan 24th and got the RAMQ eligibility letter in 2 weeks, There is an exception for pregnancy and sexual abuse so the delivery will be covered by RAMQ insurance as long as we have the eligibility letter. We got in touch with govt Ma grossesse support service, they were very helpful and guided us to get doctor appointments and expedition of the RAMQ insurance letter. If any new comers need guidance on pregnancy-related processes feel free to get in touch with me, I will be happy to assist with my experience my email - vijaikarthick04@gmail.com

umairf6

Star Member
Jul 2, 2012
@Vjktk Hello, I have similar situation, My wife is currently in Canada on a visit visa and her PR is in process almost at the final step, she has a open work permit approved but got no job.
We want to have RAMQ for her pregnancy. as per your comment you were able to get RAMQ for your wife.
Can you please tell me which eligibility documents need to be shown for RAMQ?

Vjktk

May 18, 2015
@Vjktk Hello, I have similar situation, My wife is currently in Canada on a visit visa and her PR is in process almost at the final step, she has a open work permit approved but got no job.
We want to have RAMQ for her pregnancy. as per your comment you were able to get RAMQ for your wife.
Can you please tell me which eligibility documents need to be shown for RAMQ?
You Only need work permit To apply for RAMQ .. you can follow up your application by calling 811 .. they do push your file based on situation. Basically RAMQ need any Canadian document that confirms that the person will stay in Canada more than 6 months.. work permit/ visitor record/ study permit..

umairf6

Star Member
Jul 2, 2012
@Vjktk Hi, we just got the document in hand for work permit, can you tell us the next steps? Did you go there in person to the RAMQ office? Or is it by call? Or can Ma grossesse can help us regarding this?

Vjktk

May 18, 2015
@Vjktk Hi, we just got the document in hand for work permit, can you tell us the next steps? Did you go there in person to the RAMQ office? Or is it by call? Or can Ma grossesse can help us regarding this?
Its fully online.. register for RAMQ at https://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/health-insurance/register

you will normally get the reply letter Confirming the eligibility in 3 weeks . But if there is an emergency like pregnancy you can call 811 and tell them your situation so that they can pull up your file and expedite it .

umairf6

Star Member
Jul 2, 2012