+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec vs France French?

ScienceGirl

Apr 9, 2014
Francophones, how do you find the ability to live in Quebec and communicate with locals. Is it hard to understand people or is the difference not much? Also share any tips about the differences between French and Quebecois culture.

How are French people seen by society etc?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
My French language skills are terrible so I'm hardly the best person to make a comparison. But from what I have heard from my colleagues from France is that Quebecois French accent takes some time to get used to and they initially found it amusing and funny. At best, some find it charming. At worst, some find it "hick-like" and annoying. The vocabulary and slang used also takes a bit of time to get used to. But none of them found it hard to communicate, especially once they got used to it.... at least in Montreal. Some people feel difference can be as great as the difference between British English and English spoken in the southern US though that is a bit of exaggeration

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Quebec has an agreement with France which basically makes every French citizen eligible for permanent residency in Canada.

Ever wonder why French don't give a toss about this agreement?

Aquarian

Jun 10, 2013
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris, France (Algeria)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2013
AOR Received.
Received only when we made request
File Transfer...
31-05-2013
Med's Request
11-07-2013 (Meds passed)
Med's Done....
19-02-2013
Interview........
01-10-2013
Passport Req..
01-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2013
LANDED..........
05-02-2014
My husband is from Algeria and has the Parisien French; after he arrived here in February, he would get me to listen to his VMs from employers because he just couldn't understand what they were saying, lmao! The accent is different to begin with, and there is a lot of slang, etc. used. My hubby still has trouble understanding sometimes, but it did not hinder him from finding a job a few weeks after landing... :D

Any Parisien-speaking person who comes here will have an adjustment period for sure... ;)

ScienceGirl said:
Francophones, how do you find the ability to live in Quebec and communicate with locals. Is it hard to understand people or is the difference not much? Also share any tips about the differences between French and Quebecois culture.

How are French people seen by society etc?

NewAdventure

Feb 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Quebec vs France French is like American English vs British English. There is some different in terms of accent and expression.

Street Quebec like Street French is harder to understand. It's the same for all languages. Lower variety has more local flavour. Educated Quebec French (higher variety) is perfectly intelligible.