+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quarantine options

Fatima98

Star Member
Aug 24, 2020
My uncle and aunty live in a 3 floor house in markham and i used to live with them earlier when i used to intern at a lab in Toronto. Now im going back will i be allowed to quarantine there in my separate room or is it a must to have a whole air bnb? Also im entering customs at montreal. How strict is the situation there compared to customs at Toronto?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My uncle and aunty live in a 3 floor house in markham and i used to live with them earlier when i used to intern at a lab in Toronto. Now im going back will i be allowed to quarantine there in my separate room or is it a must to have a whole air bnb? Also im entering customs at montreal. How strict is the situation there compared to customs at Toronto?
Will you have your own separate apartment or basement area with a separate kitchen and bathroom? If so, you are good to go. If not, this plan ony works if your uncle and aunt will quarantine along with you for the two week period.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How old are your aunt and uncle? Do they have health issues? If so, you shouldn't be quarantining with them. whether they need to leave their home in the next 14 days also factors into your quarantine option. Quarantine is the same in both locations and will be treated seriously in both locations. Perhaps they have a separate basement or 3rd floor with a bathroom and someone can leave food for you at the door. Your family member can pick you up at the airport if you have no contact, sit in the back seat on the opposite side with your masks on and windows down for ventilation.

Last edited:

Fatima98

Star Member
Aug 24, 2020
They’re in their mid 30s. And have work from home and will quarantine with me for the 2 weeks. I will be in my separate room and groceries are ordered online. My aunt will be doing the cooking mostly and handing me food outside my room.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They’re in their mid 30s. And have work from home and will quarantine with me for the 2 weeks. I will be in my separate room and groceries are ordered online. My aunt will be doing the cooking mostly and handing me food outside my room.
If they are going to quarantine with you and not leave the house for 2 weeks, then you can all quarantine together and there's no need for you to isolate to your room.

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
You can stay with your relatives or roommates as long you stay in one address for 14 days.

From personal experience I was told that other people in the same household don't have to quarantine as long as the traveler arrives in Canada without COVID-19 symptoms. My partner had arrived few weeks ago (similar trip International to Toronto with tranisit in Montreal), and we called Covid19 hotline to clarify if I have to quartantine too and we were advised that the mandatory quarantine for 14 days only applies to him. You can ask your family to call also to check if the requirements still the same.

Reactions: mashulia_26

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can stay with your relatives or roommates as long you stay in one address for 14 days.

From personal experience I was told that other people in the same household don't have to quarantine as long as the traveler arrives in Canada without COVID-19 symptoms. My partner had arrived few weeks ago (similar trip International to Toronto with tranisit in Montreal), and we called Covid19 hotline to clarify if I have to quartantine too and we were advised that the mandatory quarantine for 14 days only applies to him. You can ask your family to call also to check if the requirements still the same.
It is also incredibly irresponsible to quarantine with someone yet go out to work, school, shopping, etc. For some reason the government is allowing this but your local public health unit will not be in favour of this because if your friend or family member is asymptomatic you could spread covid to huge volumes of people. If business are forced to shut down and hospitals are at capacity it also comes down to personal responsibility and not wanting to be part of the problem. Is it really worth going out to work while someone is quarantining with you in your home and potentially infecting people?

Reactions: bluffmaster88

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
It is also incredibly irresponsible to quarantine with someone yet go out to work, school, shopping, etc. For some reason the government is allowing this but your local public health unit will not be in favour of this because if your friend or family member is asymptomatic you could spread covid to huge volumes of people. If business are forced to shut down and hospitals are at capacity it also comes down to personal responsibility and not wanting to be part of the problem. Is it really worth going out to work while someone is quarantining with you in your home and potentially infecting people?
Maybe you don't like it or you think this is irresponsible but you and me aren't law makers, therefore our opinions don't have any weight in this matter. OP is free to do what want as long it is within the current restrictions. I just shared the answer I got from the government.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Maybe you don't like it or you think this is irresponsible but you and me aren't law makers, therefore our opinions don't have any weight in this matter. OP is free to do what want as long it is within the current restrictions. I just shared the answer I got from the government.
Actually the quarantine rules have been transferred to many local public health agencies so the local rules can overrule the federal or provincial guidelines. How to quarantine is public health 101. I would imagine the local or provincial public health agencies are completely unaware that people are being told they can go to work while sharing a home and even a bed with someone who is quarantining. It is the responsibility of anyone in Canada to limit potential transmission.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Exactly why you shouldn't quarantine with others and let them go out to work/school/shopping. A huge cluster has started because of this. Not only have all the household members gotten sick. The other members were very busy going out shopping, eating/drinking, etc. so there is a huge list of potential exposure sites.
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/nova-scotians-hosting-non-essential-travellers-must-now-also-self-isolate-for-14-days-1.5181321

Reactions: bluffmaster88