+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Qualified Trade

smahmed365

Nov 9, 2015
Hi guys,

Applying for PR from Prince Edward Island under the NOC 6322 (Cook).

What do I need to answer for the question “When did I qualify to practice in this occupation?”

Below this question is a note stating that if primary occupation is a qualified trade, this is the date one is qualified to work on their own in Canada.

Which date needs to be put in here ?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi guys,

Applying for PR from Prince Edward Island under the NOC 6322 (Cook).

What do I need to answer for the question “When did I qualify to practice in this occupation?”

Below this question is a note stating that if primary occupation is a qualified trade, this is the date one is qualified to work on their own in Canada.

Which date needs to be put in here ?
Not all trades are "qualified" (meaning, they require certification to practice). Some trades require an apprenticeship before one can "work on their own". Sometimes this varies by province. Sometimes you can work in an occupation that has voluntary certification.

For example, in Ontario, you can complete an apprenticeship as a cook -
https://www.collegeoftrades.ca/wp-content/uploads/Cook.pdf

Under your NOC, it says:
  • Trade certification is available, but voluntary, in all provinces and territories.
  • Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified cooks upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=6&val1=6322&ver=16&val65=cook

So if you are claiming to have trade certification (for 50 pts), then you should have completed an apprenticeship and earned the certification. In that case, you enter the date you were certified.

If you did not complete the apprenticeship, you cannot claim the points for trade certification, and you can enter the date you completed your education. (secondary / high school is enough).