+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Purpose of Travel - Wife requesting Open Work Permit

Diego Costa

Jul 1, 2019
Hi all,

I got a post-doc offer for 2 years in Montreal and we are currently on the verge of submitting the documents.
My wife is eligible for an Open Work Permit, as I will be working there for 2 years.

Still, she needs to provide a Purpose of Travel document which, according to the website, focus on proving that she is going there for a temporary visit. Hence they ask for the return flight tickets, itinerary, which does not completely apply in our context.

Currently, in her Purpose of Travel, we are simply stating that she will accompany me during my post-doc and that in the meantime she would like to gain further international working experience by contributing to Canadian's work-force.

What would you recommend us to add to this letter? Has anyone had a similar experience and succeeded in the application? As I have seen far too many reports of rejection due to unconvincing Purpose of Travel letter, I am becoming a bit skeptical or our own...

Last edited:

Ali.F

Aug 28, 2020
hey, what did you end up doing as im in the same boat right now. Did you get accepted? if so, what did you provide in the letter?