+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

psychiatric/mental health nursing

Nics

Apr 3, 2008
Hey guys

I've got a BSc in Public Health and I'm now thinking about getting into psychiatric/mental health nursing. I know that in the UK it is possible to do a 1 year postgrad. in mental health nursing if you have an undergrad. in a health related subject.
However I can't find an equivalent course in Canada. All the courses I found were either 4 year bachelors or postgrads that require you to be a qualified nurse already.
Does anyone know of universities that offer the course I'm looking for? I know this is quite a specific question but all advice is appreciated.

Cheers,
Nics

ladyapol93

Sep 23, 2009
Psychiatric nursing or mental health nursing is the speciality of nursing that cares for people of all ages with mental illness or mental distress, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, psychosis, depression or dementia. Nurses in this area receive additional training in psychological therapies, building a therapeutic alliance, dealing with challenging behavior, and the administration of psychiatric medication.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Check out the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT). I think they have a psych nursing course which is a specialty. If I remember correctly it's a 2 year course but not sure. Google them. Any RN (registered nurse) in Canada can work as a psych nurse.