+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD Question

trickski

Star Member
Aug 31, 2019
Category........
QSW
Hello,

I am a COPR holder and visiting my spouse in Canada soon. Then unfortunately I will have to return back to the UK (my spouse is living in Canada) but will enter Canada again in September. I understand that I will have to apply for a PRTD because I will not have the PR card in time.

For the PRTD:

How can I "At a minimum, provide 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the 5 years immediately before the application.." when I will have only been there for 16 days?

How long does it usually take to get one?

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I am a COPR holder and visiting my spouse in Canada soon. Then unfortunately I will have to return back to the UK (my spouse is living in Canada) but will enter Canada again in September. I understand that I will have to apply for a PRTD because I will not have the PR card in time.

For the PRTD:

How can I "At a minimum, provide 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the 5 years immediately before the application.." when I will have only been there for 16 days?

How long does it usually take to get one?

Thank you!
You only need to show that you will be able to meet the 730 days out of 5 year requirement. Would suggest explaining that you only recently landed so have plenty of time to complete your RO. There are quite a large backlog after the UK lockdown so it’s unclear how long it will take to get a PRTD. Would suggest applying but if your spouse receives your PR card I would suggest sending it to the UK. That may end up being faster.

trickski

Star Member
Aug 31, 2019
Category........
QSW
You only need to show that you will be able to meet the 730 days out of 5 year requirement. Would suggest explaining that you only recently landed so have plenty of time to complete your RO. There are quite a large backlog after the UK lockdown so it’s unclear how long it will take to get a PRTD. Would suggest applying but if your spouse receives your PR card I would suggest sending it to the UK. That may end up being faster.
Thank you!
Isn't the PR taking around 4 months at the moment? I'd hope that the PRTD wouldn't take as long as that

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you!
Isn't the PR taking around 4 months at the moment? I'd hope that the PRTD wouldn't take as long as that
Get the PR card to send over from Canada might not be faster. I suggest you apply PRTD which some said they got it in 6 days.

Reactions: trickski

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Get the PR card to send over from Canada might not be faster. I suggest you apply PRTD which some said they got it in 6 days.
PRTDs are not taking 6 days at the moment if the UK. There are backlogs die to long lockdowns. 6 days may have been a case before covid and that is still pretty fast. OP should apply for a PRTD but they may get their PR card first.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you!
Due to lockdowns there are significant backlogs so it is impossible to know how long the PRTD will take. Apply for ghr PRTD but also be prepared to courier your PR card. Think having the documents necessary to return in September is likely going to be difficult but you never know. Any travel during covid comes with risks of delays.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PRTDs are not taking 6 days at the moment if the UK. There are backlogs die to long lockdowns. 6 days may have been a case before covid and that is still pretty fast. OP should apply for a PRTD but they may get their PR card first.
No, you really need to read over my recent posts and people who replied. Last month people responded to me that it took 6 days for PRTD in London. They could also get PRTD before they get their PR card. Backlogs would not die to long lockdowns.

Edit: Actually it's not last month, but rather the poster post a reply two weeks ago!

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Due to lockdowns there are significant backlogs so it is impossible to know how long the PRTD will take. Apply for ghr PRTD but also be prepared to courier your PR card. Think having the documents necessary to return in September is likely going to be difficult but you never know. Any travel during covid comes with risks of delays.
But last month a poster replied to me that it took 6 days to get PRTD in UK. Where were the significant backlogs you mentioned? Also, don't you realise the lockdown in the UK had eased and travelers from some countries/regions can come over to the UK without quarantine?

Edit: Actually it's not last month, but rather the poster post a reply two weeks ago!

Last edited:

cgo1234

Jul 22, 2021
I have been waiting 8 business days so far. What do you think is worst case scenario timeline for PRTD? I wish they could at least say it's on the order of days, weeks, months??

trickski

Star Member
Aug 31, 2019
Category........
QSW
I have been waiting 8 business days so far. What do you think is worst case scenario timeline for PRTD? I wish they could at least say it's on the order of days, weeks, months??
Hope you get it soon! where did you apply for it?

cgo1234

Jul 22, 2021
Update: Received my passport and PRTD! Was with VAC 1 day, IRCC 9 business days, back to VAC 1 day. Plus courier time (2 days there, one day back). I had requested urgent processing and kept following up with the VAC and IRCC for updates (squeaky wheel approach?).