+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD application submitted from Georgia in Ankara, Turkey

georgique

Apr 13, 2023
I am a PR since 2013. Since 2015 working for a Canadian company, 1 year in the office and since 2016 - abroad. PR card expired in 2018. Got PRTD in 2019 in the same office but couldn't use in time. Then there was covid.
Now it's time for me to return to Canada. Submitted PRTD application in October, 2022. No updates since then yet.
Submitted various enquiries to both IRCC in Canada (response time ~2 months - repeatedly told me to contact the Visa Office instead) and Visa Office (auto-response that number of correspondence is exceptionally high so I should expect a delay - in fact there is no response ever).
Submitted 1 urgency request couple weeks ago, today submitted 2nd with more documentation (my sister is having graduation ceremony in the end of June).
Also my parents (they are citizens) are contacting local MP to send a request to IRCC.

I don't have any questions, just posting this here in case someone will find this information helpful regarding such applications in Ankara. I have a feeling I should have submitted my PRTD application from another country, but now I'm stuck with the Ankara office.

georgique

Apr 13, 2023
Unfortunately no. Still waiting. Applied for US tourist visa too, that might happen sooner than the Canadian PRTD.

georgique

Apr 13, 2023
Got US tourist visa and returned to Canada on a private vehicle. PRTD still not ready, applied for the application withdrawal.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Got US tourist visa and returned to Canada on a private vehicle. PRTD still not ready, applied for the application withdrawal.
You may not be able to withdraw if the system has concerns about your RO. There may have also been concerns whether this is really an PRTD or PRTD based on H&C application. It tough to tell how your situation will be evaluated. You worked for a Canadian company for 1 year in Canada but from 2016 you have been outside of Canada so that wouldn’t really be considered temporary transfer to work abroad for the Canadian company. Have you been transferred back to the Canadian company to work in Canada now? If so I would make sure to work for the company in Canada for a decent amount of time to reinforce the idea that you had been on a temporary transfer abroad. If you are only planning on being in Canada for the graduation I would suggest meeting with an immigration lawyer about your situation.

If you are in Canada permanently now I would be a bit cautious if you leave Canada and especially if anyone says something about not meeting your RO while enter Canada on the US border. Is someone ever comments about you not meeting RO it tends to be a warning that we are letting you in but will be watching you so you may get reported the next time. Without a valid PR card you may have difficulty obtaining a health card in many provinces. Given that your work abroad is not a temporary transfer abroad and you have spent significant time abroad working for the Canadian employer you may encounter some difficulty counting the days towards RO and you may have to fight IRCC. If you are going back abroad you should be aware the longer you spend abroad the less it looks like a temporary transfer to work for the Canadian company abroad and the bigger chance you may run into issues counting days abroad towards RO. At this point you have essentially settled abroad and happen to be working for a Canadian company given the length of stay in the foreign country and your limited time in Canada and at the job in Canada. Do you have firm time period that was agreed upon when you will be returning to Canada. Is your country of origin the same country you are living in?

georgique

Apr 13, 2023
  • My PRTD is regular, not H&C
  • I have been working for the same Canadian company for 8 years, and will continue doing so
  • I have returned for good, not going anywhere until I renew my PR card and even after that - only for travel purposes
  • I do have an immigration lawyer

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
  • My PRTD is regular, not H&C
  • I have been working for the same Canadian company for 8 years, and will continue doing so
  • I have returned for good, not going anywhere until I renew my PR card and even after that - only for travel purposes
  • I do have an immigration lawyer
with US visa how can you get into Canada with expired PR card. What did the officer check then? Thank you for sharing such information

georgique

Apr 13, 2023
with US visa how can you get into Canada with expired PR card. What did the officer check then? Thank you for sharing such information
There is a lot of information about this on the forum and on the internet in general. In short - after PR card is expired, you can still enter Canada on a private vehicle, but that limits options with USA. USA visa was needed only to enter USA, doesn't have to do anything with Canada.
Officer checked a letter from my immigration lawyer, and also documents confirming that I work for a Canadian company - t4 slips and Notice of Assessments. That seemed to be satisfactory for him, so I crossed the border without any additional problems.

Reactions: 8221129

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is a lot of information about this on the forum and on the internet in general. In short - after PR card is expired, you can still enter Canada on a private vehicle, but that limits options with USA. USA visa was needed only to enter USA, doesn't have to do anything with Canada.
Officer checked a letter from my immigration lawyer, and also documents confirming that I work for a Canadian company - t4 slips and Notice of Assessments. That seemed to be satisfactory for him, so I crossed the border without any additional problems.
Why would you be receiving T4s as a non-resident of Canada. The company shouldn’t be filing payroll as you are living in Canada and it makes no sense for you to be paying significant deductions on your taxes when not living in Canada. Did you advise CRA that you were living abroad and assess whether you were a tax resident of Canada during the around 6 years you were away? You didn’t mention working for the Canadian government so assume you weren’t. If a PRTD hasn’t been processed for that period of time there is usually concern about RO that requires further investigation.

georgique

Apr 13, 2023
I'll not disclose any further details. Enough said I have my immigration lawyer who is connected to our company in a way, so it's all good and there is nothing to worry about. Even if there is investigation into my status, it's not leading anywhere, as I have been working for Canadian business and its all easy to prove.

Reactions: armoured

georgique

Apr 13, 2023
2024-03-27 - received email saying I got new mail from CIC
Logged in to My Account at IRCC website - says application is approved and asking for my passport (my withdrawal request got ignored apparently)
No updates at the PR portal though, application still shows as Submitted.

Reactions: armoured