+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proxy Marriage - PR Application

gher06

Aug 20, 2018
Hi there,

I'm currently on Work Permit and I am applying to Permanent Residency and I have the following case:

On February 2015 I sponsored my wife (with marriage by proxy on January 2015) and our child to come to Canada and they arrived here on June 04, 2015 with Work Permit and Student Permit receptively and since then we are living together in Canada.

I was about to send my PR application as married (as I did for me and my wife in our previous applications WP renewals on December 2017 and all of them granted).

Now preparing my PR application I realised that marriage by proxy are not recognised longer in Canada since June 11, 2015. So, I am not sure whether to send my PR application as married, because that is my current status in Canada (IRCC and CRA) or as a Common-Law because I got married by proxy and this kind of marriage is not recognised longer in Canada.

Should I send my PR application as married or Common-Law?

Thanks in advance.

Gher

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

I'm currently on Work Permit and I am applying to Permanent Residency and I have the following case:

On February 2015 I sponsored my wife (with marriage by proxy on January 2015) and our child to come to Canada and they arrived here on June 04, 2015 with Work Permit and Student Permit receptively and since then we are living together in Canada.

I was about to send my PR application as married (as I did for me and my wife in our previous applications WP renewals on December 2017 and all of them granted).

Now preparing my PR application I realised that marriage by proxy are not recognised longer in Canada since June 11, 2015. So, I am not sure whether to send my PR application as married, because that is my current status in Canada (IRCC and CRA) or as a Common-Law because I got married by proxy and this kind of marriage is not recognised longer in Canada.

Thanks in advance.

Gher
Go for common law. You are right in understanding that proxy marriage are no longer recognized.

Reactions: Buletruck

gher06

Aug 20, 2018
Thanks guys,

I will apply as Common Law then, but I have a question about the start date.

The things is that we have been living together for more than 12 years (around the same age of our child) in total, but in between we had a breakdown as any relationship for more than 3 months which happened the time that I was applying for my first Work Permit (2015), and naturally I did not add her as dependant in that application.

What should I put as start date of the Common-Law?. The date when we started living together for the very first time which is more 12 years ago or the date after the breakdown?

Thanks again.

Gher

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks guys,

I will apply as Common Law then, but I have a question about the start date.

The things is that we have been living together for more than 12 years (around the same age of our child) in total, but in between we had a breakdown as any relationship for more than 3 months which happened the time that I was applying for my first Work Permit (2015), and naturally I did not add her as dependant in that application.

What should I put as start date of the Common-Law?. The date when we started living together for the very first time which is more 12 years ago or the date after the breakdown?

Thanks again.

Gher
I would consult a lawyer. Given this new information you've provided, your situation is pretty complicated and IRCC may say that your spouse is excluded from sponsorship. Did your partner move out during the months the relationship broke down? Were you no longer living together during this time? Do you have hard evidence to prove that you were separated and no longer in a relationship?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have to say that I'm very confused by your case now and what you have posted doesn't make sense. In your first post you said this:

"On February 2015 I sponsored my wife (with marriage by proxy on January 2015) and our child to come to Canada and they arrived here on June 04, 2015 with Work Permit and Student Permit receptively and since then we are living together in Canada."

However in your second post you said this:

"The things is that we have been living together for more than 12 years (around the same age of our child) in total, but in between we had a breakdown as any relationship for more than 3 months which happened the time that I was applying for my first Work Permit (2015), and naturally I did not add her as dependant in that application."

These two statements contradict each other and don't make sense.

gher06

Aug 20, 2018
I have to say that I'm very confused by your case now and what you have posted doesn't make sense. In your first post you said this:

"On February 2015 I sponsored my wife (with marriage by proxy on January 2015) and our child to come to Canada and they arrived here on June 04, 2015 with Work Permit and Student Permit receptively and since then we are living together in Canada."

However in your second post you said this:

"The things is that we have been living together for more than 12 years (around the same age of our child) in total, but in between we had a breakdown as any relationship for more than 3 months which happened the time that I was applying for my first Work Permit (2015), and naturally I did not add her as dependant in that application."

These two statements contradict each other and don't make sense.
Sorry, I think I didn't explain my self well.

I'm listing the timeline, perhaps perhaps that could give a better idea.

- From 2006 till today we are living as couple (Same year my child was born).
- In December 2013 I applied for my first WP and that time we had a breakdown for more than 3 moths and I didn't add her as my dependent in the application.
- In April 2014 I arrived to Canada as WP.
- In January 2015 we got married by proxy.
- In February 2015 I sponsored hear an my child to come to Canada as WP and SP.
- In June 2015 the arrived to Canada and since then they are living here with me.
- In December 2017 we renewed our WPs and SP.

Thanks again,
Gher

gher06

Aug 20, 2018
I would consult a lawyer. Given this new information you've provided, your situation is pretty complicated and IRCC may say that your spouse is excluded from sponsorship. Did your partner move out during the months the relationship broke down? Were you no longer living together during this time? Do you have hard evidence to prove that you were separated and no longer in a relationship?
The answer for all questions is yes. But as it happened more than 5 years ago, is it still important this information in term to prove the Common-Law?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
The answer for all questions is yes. But as it happened more than 5 years ago, is it still important this information in term to prove the Common-Law?
You will need to include a complete history of the relationship as part of the Common-Law proof, but IRCC only actually requires that you meet the strict definition immediately before submission of the PR application. So, as long as you you have been together cohabiting for a minimum of 12 continuous months since any previous relationship breakdown, you should be OK.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
[
Another option is to simply get married again in Canada.

Reactions: Leesharh and tobs

unitytubes

Aug 24, 2018
Hi guyz and the admin.
Is it possible to get the App version of this forum, so I don't have to type the domain always.

Thanks in advance.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi guyz and the admin.
Is it possible to get the App version of this forum, so I don't have to type the domain always.

Thanks in advance.
There used to be an app for this forum but I think that it's long dead.

daniigiannini88

Apr 28, 2020
Hello!

So did it work? I also got married by proxy and I will have to show proof of common-law for them to assess my relationship as such. What documents did you provide?

Hi there,

Thanks in advance.

Gher