NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2010, CC 09-09-2010
IELTS Request
Sent - 8.5
Hi Guys,

I became a PR of Canada in 2011 but never moved to Canada and stayed in the US. I recently applied for a job in the Bank of Canada and interviewed for the position. Due to the specialized nature of my work, I am offered a job in Ottawa working for the Bank of Canada.

As this would be a federal job and I have never worked in Canada before, could the folks on the forum let me know any pros and cons of a federal job. I am originally from India and my perception of a government job is easy going work but with a stagnant career. I am quite young so would not prefer such an environment.

Your guidance could help me chose this job and move from the US, otherwise I might just stay put in the US. Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Jedi3000

May 7, 2013
Federal or provincial govt. jobs all excellent and very difficult to find. You are very lucky to find it. Congrats!!!

I'm having an impossible time getting a job in my field. Lots and lots of silent discrimination against immigrants, I feel.

I visited Ottawa last fall for 3 days, and got lots of hostile looks from others. Not sure why, but I suspect it's because of my skin colour.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Spicejet said:
Hi Guys,

I became a PR of Canada in 2011 but never moved to Canada and stayed in the US. I recently applied for a job in the Bank of Canada and interviewed for the position. Due to the specialized nature of my work, I am offered a job in Ottawa working for the Bank of Canada.

As this would be a federal job and I have never worked in Canada before, could the folks on the forum let me know any pros and cons of a federal job. I am originally from India and my perception of a government job is easy going work but with a stagnant career. I am quite young so would not prefer such an environment.

Your guidance could help me chose this job and move from the US, otherwise I might just stay put in the US. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
1. You never activated your PR (COPR)? If you didn't then you are not a PR.
2. I assume that the job offered doesn't have the requirement of Canadian citizenship.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Considering how difficult it is for immigrants to land good /high-end jobs and that they might often have to settle for something less:

A) First off, you should consider yourself lucky. The Bank of Canada is the Central Bank of a major G-8 country and having them on your CV gives a lot of weight and cachet. As you may know, Mark Carney, the current Governor of BoC soon assumes the position of the Head of the Bank of England (first time they have looked outside the UK for a replacement). You are probably already from a strong Management Consulting setting (which again is very prestigious but also high pressure). I am sure it is is like working at the IMF or the Bank of England and definitely is in a different league. I would totally add the BoC to my CV !

B) Dont expect the general pulsating dynamism of the US. It is generally more conservative. But people are nice. But again, I am sure a work envmt such as BoC must have a different profile and attract a dynamic bunch who travels and is on a different level- smart and cool ! Again, a privilege and experience. It's like working for the US Treasury. A mini club of smart and cool people.

C) That being said, are you also seeking greater security on the immigration front (also depends on if you are in your early 30s or early 40s which in some ways changes things and perspectives).

D) Are you in process for a GC in the US?? - probably are but how far is it before you see the light?

Just practically speaking if you can move do your thing get citizenship and then see how it goes. Maybe even then move to Toronto /Financial hub or London or Singapore later on, I see no harm.

Finally, the counter-example would be: you have the BoC offer and are already PR but are also - for the sake of argument - looking at Goldman Sachs or some hot Equity Fund in Manhattan. But....BUT.....if you still have to deal with the H1-b drama (and techically you say you are young). What would you still rather take ?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Spicejet said:

Thanks
I'm from engineering background and working for Provincial Govt. owned power company (public service), I feel same as you. In my nearly 3 years career after graduation, I can point out some pros and cons of Govt. jobs in Canada:

PROS:
(1) Govt. jobs are hard to get in Canada and mostly reputed by all
(2) Job security is high
(3) In most cases, may have higher starting salary
(4) Benefits/pension schemes are normally better
(5) With some years of experience in Govt. job, it will be easy to move to private companies in a much higher position (obviously with higher salary)

CONS:
(1) As you said, the environment will seem slow
(2) Employees are most cases represented by unions. And hence, everyone has an idea that he/she will be saved by their respective union resulting in slow pace, strike etc. But the unions provide you the job security at the end.
(3) Compared to private employers, climbing corporate ladder is tough largely because promotions/vacancy are filled up based on seniority in Govt. jobs. Even you're bright and work your a$$ off; you may not get anything in return.
(4) Bonus and other performance-based appraisals are limited

My employer had a study done on Gen X vs Gen Y. As Gen X employers were loyal, never left the company for 30~35 years, worshiped the employer throughout their lives; Gen Y may not act same let alone Gen Z. As most of us working now fall into Gen Y group, we would feel more comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic and creative work environment where accomplishments are valued right away.

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
People are struggling to get job before arriving and here they are getting government jobs but still looking various options

This is the problem of human being.....When they don't get , they will run here and there

When they get it easily, they will think too much as if they have lot of options

Spicejet

Star Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Sent - 8.5
Jedi3000 said:
Federal or provincial govt. jobs all excellent and very difficult to find. You are very lucky to find it. Congrats!!!

I'm having an impossible time getting a job in my field. Lots and lots of silent discrimination against immigrants, I feel.

I visited Ottawa last fall for 3 days, and got lots of hostile looks from others. Not sure why, but I suspect it's because of my skin colour.
Thanks! I went to Ottawa last month and it was pretty OK. But then again, I live in NYC and not many cities can match that.

Spicejet

Star Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Sent - 8.5
PMM said:
Hi

1. You never activated your PR (COPR)? If you didn't then you are not a PR.
2. I assume that the job offered doesn't have the requirement of Canadian citizenship.
I did land last year and been to Canada twice. So the PR is active. The job only requires PR and a security clearance.
Thxx

Spicejet

Star Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Sent - 8.5
Leon said:
Go visit Ottawa and see how you like it. Then decide.
Yup. It was pretty good when i went to interview. Heard it gets really bad in Winter.

Spicejet

Star Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Sent - 8.5
us2yow said:
Considering how difficult it is for immigrants to land good /high-end jobs and that they might often have to settle for something less:

A) First off, you should consider yourself lucky. The Bank of Canada is the Central Bank of a major G-8 country and having them on your CV gives a lot of weight and cachet. As you may know, Mark Carney, the current Governor of BoC soon assumes the position of the Head of the Bank of England (first time they have looked outside the UK for a replacement). You are probably already from a strong Management Consulting setting (which again is very prestigious but also high pressure). I am sure it is is like working at the IMF or the Bank of England and definitely is in a different league. I would totally add the BoC to my CV !

B) Dont expect the general pulsating dynamism of the US. It is generally more conservative. But people are nice. But again, I am sure a work envmt such as BoC must have a different profile and attract a dynamic bunch who travels and is on a different level- smart and cool ! Again, a privilege and experience. It's like working for the US Treasury. A mini club of smart and cool people.

C) That being said, are you also seeking greater security on the immigration front (also depends on if you are in your early 30s or early 40s which in some ways changes things and perspectives).

D) Are you in process for a GC in the US?? - probably are but how far is it before you see the light?

Just practically speaking if you can move do your thing get citizenship and then see how it goes. Maybe even then move to Toronto /Financial hub or London or Singapore later on, I see no harm.

Finally, the counter-example would be: you have the BoC offer and are already PR but are also - for the sake of argument - looking at Goldman Sachs or some hot Equity Fund in Manhattan. But....BUT.....if you still have to deal with the H1-b drama (and techically you say you are young). What would you still rather take ?
Thanks!
A - Yup. its very neat to work for a reputed central bank that is why i am ready to take a pay cut and move to ottawa.
B - It might work out Ok. I am at the point in my life where brakes on work pressure will be welcome
D - In line for the US process, but might take a couple of years, depending on current timelines. If CIR happens, then things are different right away.

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vow, a rare profile immigrant that I've ever seen. Its rare we see a high profile financial guy (which I guess most highly likely than not as the BoC got you in even though you had only a PR) as an immigrant in Canada, at least in these forums. All highest profile that I've ever seen are Doctors! Welcome to Canada, I wouldn't say its perfect but nonetheless a sustaining country similar to US. BTW shame on US immigration policy for letting go off guys like you, hey but Canada gained!

Spicejet

Star Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Sent - 8.5
Thanks Canuck.. I will finally be taking the plunge end of this month, while its still summer in ottawa. Right now getting operational logistics in order. Thanks everyone for their insight.