+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Language Proficiency: Certificate/Transcript from Canadian University

n.zaman

Star Member
Aug 13, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi There,

I am working on my application for citizenship and a bit confused regarding the Proof of Language Proficiency. I got my Canadian Masters degree which should work as a proof for the language requirement. But no where in the transcript/certificate it says that hte medium of instruction was English.
In such case, Do I need to provide any additional document?

Do I have to provide them the transcript in an sealed envelop supplied by the university or I could just photocopy the Certificate and the Transcript that I have with me.

Thanks!

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Hi There,

I am working on my application for citizenship and a bit confused regarding the Proof of Language Proficiency. I got my Canadian Masters degree which should work as a proof for the language requirement. But no where in the transcript/certificate it says that hte medium of instruction was English.
In such case, Do I need to provide any additional document?

Do I have to provide them the transcript in an sealed envelop supplied by the university or I could just photocopy the Certificate and the Transcript that I have with me.

Thanks!
Just follow the instruction guide.

1. Canadian Universities only teach in 2 languages (Either French or English)

2. The guide says "photocopy" (however, the originals must be shown to the officer during the test/interview)

Reactions: n.zaman

irraghav

Feb 17, 2019
Does this mean that you ended up using just your certificate or did you request something else from the university?

Also, Joshua - where is the guide that you mentioned?

Thank you

canvan14

May 8, 2014
Does this mean that you ended up using just your certificate or did you request something else from the university?

Also, Joshua - where is the guide that you mentioned?

Thank you
Here is the link to the main application. Step 3 and 4.15 in the instruction guide should mention about language proof.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

If you are 18 to 54 years old:
  • Photocopies of your proof of English or French language ability.

Examples of the types of language evidence that can be submitted include:
    • results of a third-party language test
    • diploma, certificate or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program in Canada or abroad, where the language of study was English or French
    • proof that you have reached the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 4 or higher through a government-funded language training programs.
You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad, including:
  • A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
To answer your question, you only need to submit either a copy of your diploma/certificate/degree from the schools OR transcript if the former document is not available. If your schools are one of the reputable/regular post-secondary institutions in Canada, it's automatically counted toward the English/French language medium without providing any additional proofs.
You can request the official transcript from the school and submit the photocopy.

Aga23

May 7, 2021
You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad, including:
  • A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
Does anyone know if I could use an official university transcript as proof of language skills even though I haven't earned the full degree yet? I'm attending a university in Canada, but I have only completed my first year thus far... I still have three more yours to go before I get the diploma.

lezah07

Star Member
Jan 5, 2021
Does anyone know if I could use an official university transcript as proof of language skills even though I haven't earned the full degree yet? I'm attending a university in Canada, but I have only completed my first year thus far... I still have three more yours to go before I get the diploma.
which country are you from?