+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prons and Cons of Moving from Montreal to Toronto

Eden Jenn

Mar 8, 2017
I am moving to Montreal Quebec, I have a few questions that I need answers to:
1. I have applied for skilled immigration Montreal Quebec our CSQ's and PR applications have been approved since I don't have family there I plan to move to Toronto and settle there is that allowed?
2. If I plan to move to Toronto do I have to stay in Montreal for any specified amount of time, eg 3 months 6 months or as soon as we land can I move to Toronto to stay and establish myself with my uncle.
3. If I move to Toronto I will have to apply for a OHIP card as I am aware that the Medical Card of Quebec will not work anywhere else.
4. PR / SIN card will have to be applied from place of landing or from anywhere in Canada?
5. Will moving from Montreal to Toronto on the first day affect my citizenship in anyway?
6. Do I have to work in Montreal as I plan to move to Toronto

If there is any other information that can be useful for me kindly share.
Rgds,
EJ

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
Eden Jenn said:
I am moving to Montreal Quebec, I have a few questions that I need answers to:
1. I have applied for skilled immigration Montreal Quebec our CSQ's and PR applications have been approved since I don't have family there I plan to move to Toronto and settle there is that allowed?
2. If I plan to move to Toronto do I have to stay in Montreal for any specified amount of time, eg 3 months 6 months or as soon as we land can I move to Toronto to stay and establish myself with my uncle.
3. If I move to Toronto I will have to apply for a OHIP card as I am aware that the Medical Card of Quebec will not work anywhere else.
4. PR / SIN card will have to be applied from place of landing or from anywhere in Canada?
5. Will moving from Montreal to Toronto on the first day affect my citizenship in anyway?
6. Do I have to work in Montreal as I plan to move to Toronto

If there is any other information that can be useful for me kindly share.
Rgds,
EJ
Although after PR you can move anywhere in Canada . But it is not advisable to land in province which nominated you and move on to other within days of landing .Don't know any one personally who faced any issue but CIC can very well question your intentions at time of citizenship or renewal of PR .

Eden Jenn

Mar 8, 2017
Ok but I don't know anyone there that I can live with hence will move to my uncles place and sister in law and would then come back to Montreal for a job search but initially till we get our SIN cards we need a place to be at Im clueless kindly advise what will CIC question us on and will our citizenship be delayed because of moving what that's the cons whats the worse case scenario if we move from Montreal to Toronto what can go wrong if we take step?

Thank you for your reply it mean a lot.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
I have slightly different observation

a) After you become a PR ( i.e after landing in Canada for first time as PR) your mobility rights are protected and you can settle down in any Canadian province.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_6_of_the_Canadian_Charter_of_Rights_and_Freedoms

b) I am yet to see/read any case where a PR exercised his/her mobility rights and faced issues during PR renewal / Citizenship application. Spending months/years in a City/Province where you do not want to live is a very important life decision and you should do your due diligence before making final decision.

Ask same question in PR Obligation and Citizenship forum. Ask specific question if anyone has ever seen/read of a case where a person ( moved from nominating province) faced issues later in PR renewal/Citizenship process. If required then talk to an immigration lawyer to clear things.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/permanent-residency-obligations-b11.0/
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/citizenship-b12.0/

Once you have made your final decision , please do return to this forum and share your learning.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Eden Jenn said:
Ok but I don't know anyone there that I can live with hence will move to my uncles place and sister in law and would then come back to Montreal for a job search but initially till we get our SIN cards we need a place to be at

Thank you for your reply it mean a lot.
FYI...there are no SIN cards anymore....you'll get your SIN number on a printout instantly at any Service Canada center in the country.