+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Process for adding son to Canada PR

BeatleManiac

Feb 28, 2022
Hi,

My husband, infant son and I are moving to Ontario in the coming months. He was born in the US and my husband and I are both PRs of Canada. I wanted to understand what the process is for adding him to our PR, and how long it would take? We spoke to IRCC and they mentioned starting the process only after reaching Canada.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I wanted to check if there's anything different now.

Thanks for your help!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

My husband, infant son and I are moving to Ontario in the coming months. He was born in the US and my husband and I are both PRs of Canada. I wanted to understand what the process is for adding him to our PR, and how long it would take? We spoke to IRCC and they mentioned starting the process only after reaching Canada.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I wanted to check if there's anything different now.

Thanks for your help!
You can only sponsor him when you come to Canada. You must be compliant with your RO. It will take 5-12 months as long as no extra delays due to Covid. Your child will not have health coverage until he gets PR. You should purchase private emergency health insurance for him and you’ll need to pay for routine care out of pocket.

Reactions: BeatleManiac