+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Procedure to change course from 1 year diploma program which the visa got approved to a 2 year diploma

linuphilip

Apr 13, 2021
I have acceptance to a 1 academic year Post graduate diploma program (actual period of study of 8 months) for May 2021. I have submitted for student visa with the acceptance letter for this program. Technically the program says 8 months but if I calculate the actual period of study it is just 7 months which can possibly lead to a circumstance where I may not be eligible for a PGWP. I found a different course in the same college but a 2 year diploma program (16 months study) - starting May 2021 which is also aligned with my prior job experience. I believe this program places me in a better position with a longer pgwp. Hopefully I will get an unconditional offer letter for the new program since the fee structure is the same for both and I have already paid it.
Issue: Currently I have applied for student visa with my acceptance letter of 1 year program. If it is approved it will have the student status expiry as per the 1 year program. How do I get the approved permit changed based on the duration of my 2 year program? Is that possible or do I have to restart the whole application?

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I have acceptance to a 1 academic year Post graduate diploma program (actual period of study of 8 months) for May 2021. I have submitted for student visa with the acceptance letter for this program. Technically the program says 8 months but if I calculate the actual period of study it is just 7 months which can possibly lead to a circumstance where I may not be eligible for a PGWP. I found a different course in the same college but a 2 year diploma program (16 months study) - starting May 2021 which is also aligned with my prior job experience. I believe this program places me in a better position with a longer pgwp. Hopefully I will get an unconditional offer letter for the new program since the fee structure is the same for both and I have already paid it.
Issue: Currently I have applied for student visa with my acceptance letter of 1 year program. If it is approved it will have the student status expiry as per the 1 year program. How do I get the approved permit changed based on the duration of my 2 year program? Is that possible or do I have to restart the whole application?

Changing your DLI if you’re outside Canada
If you change your DLI before coming to Canada and you don’t let us know, you won’t be allowed to board your flight.

If your application is still in progress
You can tell us you changed your DLI by submitting a new letter of acceptance using the IRCC web form.

If your application has been approved
If your application for a study permit has been approved and you change your DLI, you must submit a new study permit application with a new letter of acceptance.

You must also pay all the fees for the new application.

linuphilip

Apr 13, 2021
Thanks for the response.
But I am not changing the DLI. Same DLI but a different program with a different course duration.

lamnt0702

Star Member
Mar 26, 2021
Changing your DLI if you’re outside Canada
If you change your DLI before coming to Canada and you don’t let us know, you won’t be allowed to board your flight.

If your application is still in progress
You can tell us you changed your DLI by submitting a new letter of acceptance using the IRCC web form.

If your application has been approved
If your application for a study permit has been approved and you change your DLI, you must submit a new study permit application with a new letter of acceptance.

You must also pay all the fees for the new application.
I also would like to change my program from 1-year program to 2-years program at the same college.
What if I already got study visa for the 1-year program, and would like to make a change later when I arrived in Canada. Would it be possible?
TIA and have a nice day!

mile80

Star Member
Jun 1, 2023
Hello.... how was your experience?
I am in the same boat

mile80

Star Member
Jun 1, 2023
No need if you have an issued study permit. Just extend when you are in Canada. This is same DLI?
Yes... the same DLI and the same field of study.... I will arrive to Canada in 3 months... so, in this moment I don't have my study permit because of that was my previous question.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes... the same DLI and the same field of study.... I will arrive to Canada in 3 months... so, in this moment I don't have my study permit because of that was my previous question.
What do you mean you don’t have a study permit? Have you applied for it and been approved based on your first program? If so, you can update your file and come to Canada. Have new LOA for same school when you enter. If you need to extend your study for your new program then file an extension in Canada.

mile80

Star Member
Jun 1, 2023
What do you mean you don’t have a study permit? Have you applied for it and been approved based on your first program? If so, you can update your file and come to Canada. Have new LOA for same school when you enter. If you need to extend your study for your new program then file an extension in Canada.
Ok thank you!