+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Private health insurance while waiting for MSP coverage to begin in BC

sasha_f

Jul 13, 2022
Hello, my sister just received her PR and will be arriving with her family into British Columbia soon. To my dismay, I just read on Services BC website that their MSP coverage won’t begin until after the waiting period (about 3 months). If you have been in a similar situation, could you please recommend a private health insurance that worked for you, while you were in the waiting period? Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, my sister just received her PR and will be arriving with her family into British Columbia soon. To my dismay, I just read on Services BC website that their MSP coverage won’t begin until after the waiting period (about 3 months). If you have been in a similar situation, could you please recommend a private health insurance that worked for you, while you were in the waiting period? Thank you!
It will only be emergency medical coverage unless you are willing to pay a lot of money. Go with any of the large Canadian insurance providers. Any routine care will be out of pocket. There is a waiting period because people do travel in and out of Canada frequently. There is a waiting period and a residency period required to qualify for healthcare or people could enter Canada if they whenever they wanted to seek medical care. A valid health card doesn’t mean you have health coverage. You have to have a valid health card and meet the residency requirement to qualify for health coverage in that province. I assume your sister plans on remaining in BC for the next 6+ months? If not she may not qualify for MSP and shouldn’t be applying at all.

Reactions: sasha_f