+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Private health insurance QC for physiotherapy and psychotheraphy

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Hello,
I am moving to QC and I'll need a health insurance covering physiotherapy and psychotherapy.

Do I understand right that RAMQ doesn't cover any of that? I see conflicting information about physio. RAMQ site states it does, bur private health insurance companies state RAMQ doesn't. Does RAMQ only cover "extreme" cases i.e. after an accident, or would it cover a regular ongoing injury type of phisio?

Following this, does anyone have recommendations for how to find the best individual private plan that would cover both?

More in general, where do you get good information on how the health care system and health insurance works? I wouldn't know where to start from, in case I needed to see a doctor for general issues, or in case I already know what I need (prescription drugs, phisio, etc).

Thanks a lot for any help!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Private insurance plans aren't set up to lose money so they provide minimal coverage or maybe no coverage for preexisting conditions. If you don't have coverage through your employer you end up mostly paying cash yourself. Every province has it's own plans but in general psychotherapy and outpatient physiotherapy isn't covered across Canada by provincial healthcare plans.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Physiotherapy is not covered in BC unless it's right after some major medical condition. (e.g. I broke my shoulder and it was covered for hospital physio sessions but not afterwards. I still need to pay for that from my extended health coverage by employer and afterwards out of pocket)
I think extended health only covered like 6 or 7 sessions in a year.

And in general provincial health do not cover prescription, physio, RMT, dental visit etc.

Reactions: canuck78