+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Private health insurance in first three months

earthwasi

Feb 26, 2018
Hi everyone,

I've read that British Columbia has a three-month waiting period before your Medical Services Plan (MSP) is activated. However, they also only count the balance of the month in which BC residence is established, plus two months before benefits can begin.

I had a few queries:

(a) My wife and I will be arriving in Vancouver around 9pm on August 30. So will the MSP process be activated on the same day (which gives me 1 day balance and two months).

(b) If the procedure happens the following day, will August 31 be counted as a 1 day balance? What dates should I be applying for the three-month private medical insurance?

(c) Can you suggest some good private medical insurance companies?

Thanks in advance!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A) You will have to register online first and upload documents or directly go to ICBC locations near you.
B) You should get private insurance up to end of October
C) Any Canadian will do such as BCAA, Manulife, Allianz

earthwasi

Feb 26, 2018
A) You will have to register online first and upload documents or directly go to ICBC locations near you.
Thanks for the info!

Lovekesh

Jul 13, 2017
Hello Everyone,
I just got to know that my wife is pregnant and is in initial weeks. I have plan for we both to travel to Ontario next month i.e. when my wife will be in 2-3 month of pregnancy.

Now considering that Ontario health card's average waiting time is 3 months,
i. Will my wife be eligible for all medical facilities provided by Ontario health insurance after 3 months i.e. Dec/Jan onwards?
ii. Can I opt for travel insurance or any private insurance to support for these 3 months(until Ontario health card is issued)?

Please suggest

Thanks much!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello Everyone,
I just got to know that my wife is pregnant and is in initial weeks. I have plan for we both to travel to Ontario next month i.e. when my wife will be in 2-3 month of pregnancy.

i. Will my wife be eligible for all medical facilities provided by Ontario health insurance after 3 months i.e. Dec/Jan onwards?
ii. Can I opt for travel insurance or any private insurance to support for these 3 months(until Ontario health card is issued)?

Please suggest

Thanks much!
If you haven't gotten her on private insurance before she got pregnant, any pregnancy related doctor visit will not be covered.

You should still get travel insurance for any other emergency medical coverage.

Expect to pay out of your own packet for prenatal visits.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you haven't gotten her on private insurance before she got pregnant, any pregnancy related doctor visit will not be covered.

You should still get travel insurance for any other emergency medical coverage.

Expect to pay out of your own packet for prenatal visits.
Be careful that you find a plan that covers pregnancy related emergencies until the 3rd trimester. You will likely have to pay more for that coverage.

RWDJ

Dec 11, 2017
Hello,
We are a family of three (incl. a 5 month infant) new residents. We are planning to take a private insurance. Could you give an insight to the following:
1. What would be an optimal coverage amount? 10K seems pretty good to us since thats an ok amt back home, but most websites say 50k....
2. My daughter's vaccination is due in a month. But i wasnt able to find an insurance that covers it. Anyone knows of an alternative plan ?

Thanks in adv.
RWDJ

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
We are a family of three (incl. a 5 month infant) new residents. We are planning to take a private insurance. Could you give an insight to the following:
1. What would be an optimal coverage amount? 10K seems pretty good to us since thats an ok amt back home, but most websites say 50k....
2. My daughter's vaccination is due in a month. But i wasnt able to find an insurance that covers it. Anyone knows of an alternative plan ?

Thanks in adv.
RWDJ
Hi

1. $10 000??? One day in the ICU is generally at least $5000, if not way more. One serious hospitalization could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. I wouldn't go with anything less than $100 000, especially with a baby.

2. Apparently some provinces give free vaccinations. You will need to look into that.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will have to pay if you want a doctor visit. Some public health clinics may offer vaccination clinics. You will have to check and also see if you qualify.

Anna007

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
Vancouver
Hello Everyone,

Please suggest

Thanks much!
For those who have similar question there is only one insurance plan that offers Pregnancy Complications Insurance, which is a part of a regular Visitors to Canada Insurance Plan for Visitors provided by Manulife.
Such coverage is valid up to the 31st week of pregnancy and it will take care of the costs for pre-mature birth, bleedings, abdominal pain, miscarriage, etc.
That would be the only options that offers at least some coverage for pregnancy related treatment for an applicant, who is already pregnant.

Gsingh.sam

Oct 28, 2018
For those who have similar question there is only one insurance plan that offers Pregnancy Complications Insurance, which is a part of a regular Visitors to Canada Insurance Plan for Visitors provided by Manulife.
Such coverage is valid up to the 31st week of pregnancy and it will take care of the costs for pre-mature birth, bleedings, abdominal pain, miscarriage, etc.
That would be the only options that offers at least some coverage for pregnancy related treatment for an applicant, who is already pregnant.
Can you please provide details as my wife is pregnant and she will be in 21st week (2nd trimester) in March month when we are planning to land in Toronto?

Will be a great help for us.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can you please provide details as my wife is pregnant and she will be in 21st week (2nd trimester) in March month when we are planning to land in Toronto?

Will be a great help for us.
They say it is a manulife insurance plan. You will want to look at the terms again.