+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Private health insurance for temporary workers in QC

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Hi all,
I am working in QC with a closed work permit as temporary foreign worker.
I will need prescription drugs and physiotherapy, which are not covered by the RAMQ.
I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth taking out a private health insurance and in that case, which one.
It's hard to understand from the sites whether the plans are also for temporary workers, because the prescription drugs plan is not covered by the RAMQ as mentioned above.
I'm looking for any suggestions!
Thank you :)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi all,
I am working in QC with a closed work permit as temporary foreign worker.
I will need prescription drugs and physiotherapy, which are not covered by the RAMQ.
I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth taking out a private health insurance and in that case, which one.
It's hard to understand from the sites whether the plans are also for temporary workers, because the prescription drugs plan is not covered by the RAMQ as mentioned above.
I'm looking for any suggestions!
Thank you :)
Those are usually covered by your employer's extended health insurance. And even with that there is limited coverage and co-pay cost.
Not familiar with Quebec but usually self employed can purchase those from private health insurnace but it's not cheap.

frasts

Aug 23, 2017
Thanks for the answer, unfortunately I work at the university and it does not cover anything in terms of health insurance.
I was looking at the private health insurances but it's never clear on their home pages if their plans also apply to someone who does not have drug coverage with RAMQ. If anyone has information handy without me having to wait hours on calls to get quotes from them, it would be a big help. I'm trying to see if the cost of drugs + phisio would be offset by taking up a private health insurance or not.
thanks

Edit: as an example, I was looking for quotes on the Sunlife page and only when downloading the detailed brochures under eligibility criteria it specifies that your RAMQ has to cover the drugs plan too https://www.sunlife.ca/en/explore-products/insurance/health-insurance/personal-health-insurance/
i.e. I'm not eligible as temporary worker.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the answer, unfortunately I work at the university and it does not cover anything in terms of health insurance.
I was looking at the private health insurances but it's never clear on their home pages if their plans also apply to someone who does not have drug coverage with RAMQ. If anyone has information handy without me having to wait hours on calls to get quotes from them, it would be a big help. I'm trying to see if the cost of drugs + phisio would be offset by taking up a private health insurance or not.
thanks

Edit: as an example, I was looking for quotes on the Sunlife page and only when downloading the detailed brochures under eligibility criteria it specifies that your RAMQ has to cover the drugs plan too https://www.sunlife.ca/en/explore-products/insurance/health-insurance/personal-health-insurance/
i.e. I'm not eligible as temporary worker.
Usually not worth it to buy private plans. If you already know you need physio it would likely not be covered because any preexisting condition that you know requires physio will likely be excluded.