+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Principal Applicant - 79 points or 89 points - do more points mean more chance?

EstherGC

Aug 14, 2009
Hi,

We are about to apply for Permanent Residence to Canada via the Skilled Worker program.
I was wondering whether my husband should be the principal applicant with 79 points or whether I should be with 89 points. We both qualify to apply - he is an Electrician, I am a Language instructor. He is more likely to be the main breadwinner if we move there as we have small children, but I speak French and have higher education level. We both have family there. Do more points mean more chance of approval or is it the NOC occupation that is more important?

Thank you for any advice.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EstherGC said:
Hi,

We are about to apply for Permanent Residence to Canada via the Skilled Worker program.
I was wondering whether my husband should be the principal applicant with 79 points or whether I should be with 89 points. We both qualify to apply - he is an Electrician, I am a Language instructor. He is more likely to be the main breadwinner if we move there as we have small children, but I speak French and have higher education level. We both have family there. Do more points mean more chance of approval or is it the NOC occupation that is more important?

Thank you for any advice.
NOC on the Ministerial List + Job description and duties are the most important.
Also, a minimum of 67 points will do.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
it doesn't matter who is going to be the breadwinner. In fact, i would say apply if both of you have greater than 67 points and both of you definitely fit the ministerial instructions, then apply with whoever can prove their job experience the easiest and if both of you can do that, then with whoever doesn't need to get a license or do some training in Canada first.

I am no expert.