+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Previous PGWP Holders are given a chance to Extend for 18 months under a new Public Policy

jhunix

Star Member
Jan 9, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Cebu
App. Filed.......
19-07-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Hi all,

I am writing here to seek advice from you guys. The government of Canada recently issued a new public policy allowing previous PGWP Holders to extend their PGWP for 18 months. Please see the link: Apply for an open work permit under a public policy - Canada.ca I have fully meet the requirements listed on the website, however, I just have concerned regarding this part of the requirement which is a bit vague.

Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
  1. expired on or after January 30, 2020, or
  2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit.
I was issued with 8-months PGWP and it is expired last July 2020. Do I meet this requirement? Will this be a problem when I apply for a PGWP extension? It does not clearly state the minimum months or years (3 years) of PGWP. I'm just really confused about this part. Please enlighten me, guys. I really want to grab this chance to extend my PGWP so that I can apply for PR.

Thanks in Advance

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi all,

I am writing here to seek advice from you guys. The government of Canada recently issued a new public policy allowing previous PGWP Holders to extend their PGWP for 18 months. Please see the link: Apply for an open work permit under a public policy - Canada.ca I have fully meet the requirements listed on the website, however, I just have concerned regarding this part of the requirement which is a bit vague.

Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
  1. expired on or after January 30, 2020, or
  2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit.
I was issued with 8-months PGWP and it is expired last July 2020. Do I meet this requirement? Will this be a problem when I apply for a PGWP extension? It does not clearly state the minimum months or years (3 years) of PGWP. I'm just really confused about this part. Please enlighten me, guys. I really want to grab this chance to extend my PGWP so that I can apply for PR.

Thanks in Advance
If the minimum duration of the PGWP is not mentioned, there is none.

I don't see the requirement you mentioned being vague, it is pretty straight forward. Did you permit expired on or after January 30, 2020? YES --> that is all you need.

jhunix

Star Member
Jan 9, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Cebu
App. Filed.......
19-07-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
If the minimum duration of the PGWP is not mentioned, there is none.

I don't see the requirement you mentioned being vague, it is pretty straight forward. Did you permit expired on or after January 30, 2020? YES --> that is all you need.

Thank you so much for responding to my concern. It really means a lot. That's how I understand it. I just want to make sure that I would be able to get the open Work Extension without a problem.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for responding to my concern. It really means a lot. That's how I understand it. I just want to make sure that I would be able to get the open Work Extension without a problem.
As long as you are still in Canada, you should have no issues applying and being approved.

jhunix

Star Member
Jan 9, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Cebu
App. Filed.......
19-07-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
As long as you are still in Canada, you should have no issues applying and being approved.

Thank you so much for your insight. It really helps me to ease down of thinking too much about this process,

jhunix

Star Member
Jan 9, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Cebu
App. Filed.......
19-07-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Hi all,

Just want to say that there is always hope :) I had an 8-month PGWP and it expired last July 2020. I applied for work extension this March and here is my timeline below:

Date of application: March 15, 2021
Date Approved: March 25, 2021
Valid for 18 months

Documents submitted:
1. Letter of Explanation stating that you are applying for Open Work Permit under the Public Policy Facilitating the Issuance of an Open Work Permit to Former Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Holder. The LOE was just plain and simple and just writing some of the details like your current legal status (either in Visitors record or work permit)
2. Passport Copy
3. Digital Photo
4. IRCC forms

Optional:
I had also attach my old PGWP and Visitors (record)

Hope this helps.

Good luck to you all.

Rodtmm

May 6, 2021
Does any one know if I can change jobs while I wait for my extension under the PGWP public policy?

Deepanshu96

Jul 20, 2018
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
App. Filed.......
04-05-2021
AOR Received.
28-06-2021
Med's Done....
27-05-2021
Does any one know if I can change jobs while I wait for my extension under the PGWP public policy?
It’s an open work permit. Doesn’t matter if you change or you go unemployed for a while.